Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Preperations for migration to new software

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes we are moving to new software, we've done some testing but the test area has expired now. So I'm afraid that I can't take any screen shots.

The look of the forum will be quite similar to what we have now (layout and colours).

All social groups that are staying are setup in the main forum and yes they are all completely open - this is on purpose. Too much information was hidden away only visible to a handful of people.

I will be creating some child boards in the equipment sections later today / over the weekend and all the equipment based social groups will be rehomed there. But there will be several overall categories to cover all equipment discussion (i.e. there will not be a C11 board or a TAL board).

I'm at work so do not have the time to go into any more detail at the moment.

Cheers

Ant

thanks for the clarification ant

one technical question (i was in the beta area but spent more time checking stuff than looking around) what is the new software actually based on?

Sorry mate, couldn't tell you. I'll have a look tonight and see what the software is called.

The new equipment based boards are now setup - fairly obvious what we are trying to do. So when posting about equipment try to select the right board, if you don't it's not a problem as we can move it.

I'm also sure that at some point a post will be made that doesn't fit into any of the new categories - we'll cross that bridge when we come to it (so I'd appreciate it if people didn't go out of there way to find that post :D )

The old Equipment discussion board will remain open and accepting new posts in EXISTING threads - but will put new threads posted into the old section into a moderation queue before going live - this is just so that we have less to move later on.

All social groups will be viewable but not postable to very shortly.

Thank you all very much for your patience while these changes have taken place. It's a long job - but I do think we are almost there :)

Cheers

Ant

Not right now Gaz, after this I'll be happy if I don't see SGL again for a few days... :)

Peter, you just cannot post to them. Copy and paste will still work ok. We are still working on a way to make them statically available forever.

More on that as we find out!

Ant

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if I have missed an announcement somewhere but...

From this thread I understood that those social groups that were not going to be maintained going forward would still be viewable for a period and work was being done to try to copy across the social group postings into the relevant equipment based sub-forums.

I was looking for an old thread in the Video Astronomy group but all content has now disappeared and it has not been copied into the new sub-forum.

Is it lost for ever or is this a work in progress?

If it has not proved possible to copy the info across automatically would it be possible to restore the content for a period to allow those with an interest to cut and paste the threads they are keen to keep?

No matter what I did people still found a way to post - which despite my best efforts made the problem of the social groups more difficult with every passing day.

Even when I posted inside the social group asking people not to post I was ignored. So I asked Grant to remove them completely.

The post are still there - but not visible.

Cheers

Ant

Archived