Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Preperations for migration to new software

Afternoon all,

We are getting close to the point where we are going to switch to the new software.

We are taking the opportunity to amalgamate some of the boards, move some boards to new locations and generally have a tidy up.

So please do not worry too much if threads / boards appear, disappear, change locations etc...

Nothing is being removed - just re-homed :)

No one likes change - but we do need to move to new software and now is a good time for a spring clean as well.

So please just bare with us for the next week or two...

Cheers

Ant

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol i was on here earlier on my cusons pc (instead of my mac) came back on my mac and wondered..... whered everything go:P i was waiting for the new software

random question, i know some one mentioned the communities section could be "remade" into a sub forum, would it be possiable for this to happen at all? as its rather difficult to find anything over there as search dosent work for any topics

lol i was on here earlier on my cusons pc (instead of my mac) came back on my mac and wondered..... whered everything go:P i was waiting for the new software

random question, i know some one mentioned the communities section could be "remade" into a sub forum, would it be possiable for this to happen at all? as its rather difficult to find anything over there as search dosent work for any topics

Yes, the plan is to bring the communities into the main forum so that they can be searched more easily :)

Helen

Just musing, but i keep finding myself getting lost here. It's probably just to do with the fact that i'd 'learned' the old layout, but i can't shake the feeling that there's too much in the 'Community' section. Maybe this is a case where 'more menus, fewer options' (software design reference for you there :) ) would come out on top?

A few of the sections in the communities section are going to be amalgamated. So that section should look a little more compact when I get around to doing it.

The only things really left to do is...

1. Sort out the above.

2. A new section for SGL product reviews.

3. Some other bits and bobs.

Timescales - tbh when I get the time. Some of this stuff is time consuming!

Cheers

Ant

Did a few more bits tonight.

1. Moved the "Star party Equipment" board into the "Equipment board" (which makes more sense).

2. Moved the SGL4, SGL5 and SGL6 sub boards to the "SGL Announcements and Events" - as these were SGL events!

3. "Star party" board is now a sub board of "Astro Events and Local Meets"

So hopefully the community section is now a little more to you liking.

Ant

All Social social groups (well the active ones) will find a new home within the new section.

The other groups, which are pretty much all equipment based, will need to be incorporated into the equipment discussion boards.

We are going to setup more specific sub-boards, but clearly there cannot be one for each current social group. So we are going to setup sub-boards "Scopes", "Mounts", "Eyepieces", "Cameras", "Software".

Pretty much everything that we can think of falls quite nicely into those categories - basically if it fits on an OTA then it goes into the scopes section (finders, focusers, mirrors, spiders)

I'm sure you get the idea, there are things that could fall into several categories - Filters spring to mind, but that'll be down to the OP deciding the context of the item. I.e. if it's going on camera or EP.

Cheers

Ant

Archived