Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M101 supernova... what are my chances of seeing it?

cheers matsey. tried to have a look last night, although there were clouds they were passing quite quickly, with the exception of the rather large one to the north and north west. sods law! ill keep trying.

on a different note is there any estimation how long it will be before it goes pop?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was mentioned on the telly this morning, it was said you can now observe it with good binos for about the next two weeks, pointers to M101 using Alcor, Alioth, Megrez of Ursa Major, along the handle of the pan, the man also said it was 21.8 million miles away, I think he means 21.8 Mly.

Its been woefully cloudy/rainy/windy for as long as I can remember in the Northwest. Its soul-destroying to think I might never see the SN based on current forecasts, and even thats in an area of bad light pollution :-( I cannot believe my bad luck sometimes!

thought I might get lucky with the cloud gods... looked like it was breaking up around 7:50pm - scope is ready but the sky is covered with dark rain clouds... observatory now losed up for the night. - Really miffed with all this weather... hardly had a decent clear night for ages

Not me I'm afraid, foolishly had an early night instead!

Tonight and tomorrow night is forecast for "partly cloudy" in my area, so really hope to get another glimpse on one of those nights... very interested to see if it has brightened at all since my last viewing on Tuesday night.

A very quick session for me tonight, only really went out to check up on the supernova... spotted it very easily tonight.

Now, I have to say I don't feel at all confident yet with estimating star magnitudes, but comparing it with the mags of the two "guide" stars that form the triangle with it, I would put the supernova at approx 9.5, maybe even slightly brighter.

So wondering if anyone else is observing tonight and looking at this supernova, if they wouldn't mind commenting on how accurate my estimate of 9.5 is? I'm almost positive it has brightened, but I am really questioning myself, almost like I think I'm seeing it brighter than last week because I want to see it brighter !

Whats my chances with a 76mm FirstScope and a 12.5 or 20mm EP?

Andy, I had a look through my FirstScope just now. I could see the faintest of smudge in the correct location. Almost the type where you think your eye is tricking you. I am 75% sure I saw M101.

I used the 20mm that came with the scope, and using the instructions previously posted was able to find the relevant stars.

I think conditions tonight (for me in Milton Keynes) are the best they have been for a few weeks though this is certainly stretching the limits of the FirstScope.

Archived