SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What planetary eye piece for 300p?

mert

If your scope is in good collimation and the seeing conditions allow I would have thought that 240x - 250x or so would be usable. That would mean something around a 6mm eyepiece.

The William Optics SPL eyepieces include a 6mm which has a wider than average field of view and seems to be well regarded:

First Light Optics - William Optics SPL eyepiece

Otherwise the TMB Planetary series or one of it's clones, might suit.

I agree with John re the magnifications that are possible but realistically, I find that my 12" (and my 6") dobs which have a similar focal length were best on planets most of the time with an 8-10mm eyepiece giving between 150-200x. occasionally of course when the seeing is good to excellent then you can use more and this is where the 6mm will come in useful, and more regularly for lunar and double star observing of course.

so although we differ slightly, we both agree that 6mm will be usable fairly frequently so would be worth obtaining.

my best ever views of Saturn were with my 12" dob and a 7mm Baader Genuine Ortho at 228x - seeing was awesome and the view was literally jaw dropping - saw the crepe ring reasonably obviously that night.

Archived