Vixen Porta II / AZ4 (SkyTee?)

rawhead

I am lucky enough to have occasional access to a beach house under dark skies...

Would a Tal 200K sit on a Vixen Porta II or an AZ4?

Although it's heavy it's short....

The mount will be primarily for the 80ED or the ST80 but it would be nice to know if it could handle the beast?

Or should I save for a SkyTee and put it on my CG5 mount (Hardly grab and go :))

Cheers

I have owned a porta mount 2 and I also own a skytee II the porta won't handle your 200k but the skytee II give you a far wider range of scopes for grab and go. I have had my m615 on the skytee with no problems it also works well with a tal 2m and megrez 90 side by side. I think a much more versatile mount well worth the extra.Saying that I do miss the porta mount for it light weight and quicke set up but then you are limited to what scopes you can use.

The AZ-4 on the steel tube tripod is a sturdy mount but the 200K would still be too much. The heaviest OTA I've had on mine is the Intes 6" mak-newt @ 20 llbs and that is only suitable for a quick low-medium power session. The AZ-4's capacity is more than the Portamount.

The Skytee II is in a different league again and would carry the 200K. I had a 6" F/8 refractor @ 24 lbs on one and it was pretty steady.

Archived