Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

jango fett

what binoculars do you own

I  started off with a "free" Mirador Japan 7x50 acquired in a box of "junk" from a friend who passed away. Cleaned them up, pointed them at the moon and was hooked!!

Bought a 10x50 Olympus DPS1 and a Celestron Skymaster 15x70, an Amazon basics tripod with pistol grip head, and a long Giottos 3290B monopod. 

The 10x50s get the most use. 

• Like 1

I still have my Lidl special Meade 10x50 bought in 2003. But don't use them too much anymore. 

Picked up some Tokina 10x42's a couple of years ago and they are great for general use. But my son laid claim to those. So now using Helios WP6 8x42, which i enjoy using a lot. Quite compact and great for wildlife. Not used them much for astro.

Miss my Celestron 15-70's. 

I think i've around fifty bino's but my fave are the Nikon Monarch 8x42 roof prism ones, They're just soooo crisp and bright and not unwieldly 👍

John 🙂

An old pair of Carl Zeiss Jena 7 x 50W Jenoptem bought from a stand-alone shop in, would you believe, Woolies :eek:. I think I picked them up in '76 or so, they had just been reduced from £65 to £32 (I think), a fair bit of money in those days. I still have an even more ancient 8 x 40 (? may be 30) somewhere if I can find them.

Nowadays, 7 x 50 gives too big an exit pupil for my old eyes, maybe something like 10 x 50 would be better, as I'm losing a lot of aperture.

Bit since visual is only a very minor sideline I'm not willing to spend much money.

Nikon Aculon 10x50s, Celestron Skymaster 15x70s, WWII vintage US Navy 7x50s.

I'm considering replacing the Skymasters with Oberwerks as they have never been quite in collimation.  Love the 70mm and 15x though.

Edited by jcj380
typo

Celestron Skymaster 15x70, Pentax SP 10x50, Nikon Monarch 5  8x 42, Panorama 10x 50s (40 years old), Meade (Lidl) 10 x 50s

I love using the Monarch 5 8x 42s.. They are so light and optically sharp. The Pentax 10x50 work great on a tripod mount.

Just been going though mine. Rather surprised to find:

8x21 unbranded

10x25 unbranded x 2 (pair in each of our cars)

8x30 Carl Zeiss Jenoptem x 2 (one old pair and one newer pair)

8x30 Swarovski Tirol

8x30 Komz

8x32 Opticron Adventurer Roof Prism

8x40 Helios Naturesport

10x50 Helios Naturesport

8x56 Opticron Vega II

11x70 Opticron Oregon LER

Where do they all come from - must breed in the cupboard :icon_scratch:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Being honest too many - please don't tell my wife:

Fujinon 7 x 50 FMT - SX

Hawke 8 x 56 ED Endurance

Celestron Granite 9 x 33

Celestron Granite 12 x 50

Pentax 10 x 50 S series WP

Lunt Engineering 16 x 70

Lunt Engineering 100 x 45 deg angled with interchangeable eyepieces

Several fieldscopes but that's another story and they don't count!