Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars 0711 with new barlow & filters

lunator

Guys

Got a new Antares filter set and Apo barlow yesterday.

I decided to try them out on Mars.

All my previous attempts at using the A607 to video Mars have failed due to Mars being too bright.

I thought that using filters may reduce the brightness and so enable me to use the video mode.

I spent some time trying variuos combinations and found that combining the orange & green filter dimmed Mars just enough to see some detail.

I took a 60 second video the maximum the camera will allow. (it was a pig keeping Mars centred) this gave me 600 frames.

I stacked them in registax and tweaked them in Photoplus.

image.jpg

I will tweak the image some more as I am still a 'wavelet novice'

Regards

Ian

Russ

I am seeing how it is possible to go with the minimum of equipment.

My scope, barlow and eyepiece are all good Orion Optics Europa and 12.5mm ortho & Apo Barlow.

The EQ5 is undriven (the drives are on the Christmas list :clouds1:)

The camera is a fujifilm A607

http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/cameras/a607/index.php?flash=7

I will be showing some of the images to my local Astro meeting towards the end of the month.

I do intend to get a webcam and Ihope that I can get higher quality images from them.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

With no drives that is a great image. Very nicely done.

And those drives Gaz mentioned are a steal. Although just by chance just been reading a thread on another forum which suggested the EQ5 clone offered by Skies Unlimited are slightly different to the Synta EQ5. And he had to drill and re-tap the motor brackets. I have no idea if this is true. I wa under the impression they were identical.

Russ

Guys

Here is the latest effort.

2x Apo Barlow. 12.5 Ortho

Barlow not fully inserted in eyepiece so the mag was probably nearer 2.2 so Mag about x220

Taken at 8.30 this evening Mars was still clearing the house.

8 Jpegs (3MP)

Image processed in Photoplus.

I think is my best effort so far. 8)

I think the hour I spent collimating my scope this afternoon paid dividends

Cheers

Ian

image.jpg

Nice one Ian.

You have to remember though that when imaging astro objects so close to the roof line that

you will no doubt suffer from heat distortion which will give you a lesser final image.

Try to wait till the object is WAY above the roof line before you start imaging.

If you look through the eyepiece as the object is sitting just above the roof line

you will be able to see for your self the distortion/shimmering i am talking about.

Hope this helps.

I wanted to wait until later but it was due to cloud over and guess what..............................it has :clouds1:

I wanted to get Mars as I had spent some time collimating the scope and I wanted to see the difference it made.

If the clouds blow over before 11.30 (which I doubt) I'm going to give Mars another go.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

Considering the mount has no drives and Mars was just clearing the roof tops - you've managed an amazing amount of detail.

Jamie's right, let mars clear the roof tops (by a good few hours) and the image will improve no end.

Nice one mate!

Ant

Archived