Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

my first time seeing.... the milky way!!

well tonight i went outside see if it was clear and its the clearest night iv ever seen after thunder lighting rain and everything its perfect!! i can even see the milkyway under my light polluted skys i can make out the milkyband across the sky! WOW!!!!!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing. I didn't think I be able to see it! I'm having to stand up cos all the chairs are socked:( so my necks prob gona kill in the morning:( but the seeing tonight is well worth it!

---

- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been a while since i've seen the milky way. I now live in liverpool so the light pollution is really bad. It's a shame because if more people saw our galaxy in all it's splendour, there may be more people trying to do their bit about light pollution.

Me three !! I was in Norfolk for the weekend under some lovely dark skies and got my first view as well... thought it was a cloud at first !!!

Now back in Stevenage with it's gorgeous orange glow, may be a while before I see it again, but it was rather fab :)

It's an amazing sight nexus! Wish it was like this every night!:( I Cnt get the telescope cos it too much noise (every one in bed:(. ) so binos it is!

---

- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luckily for me I get to see it on nights of good seeing from here at home but compared to when I went on holiday to Cornwall its nothing like as good :)

My partner was up on the roof last night (not repairing either) and she thought she could see a line of white smoke in the sky, I explained that it was the Milky Way and not smoke but stars,nebulas etc etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you look good over here, you can make out the milky way too in the region of Cygnus. But it's very hard and you have to concentrate rather well. A simple 2 minute exposure does reveal quite a bit, as I've experienced earlier.

It's been a while since I've been under a perfectly dark sky. Last time was in 2004 I think in the german countryside, pitch-black with a fantastic view on the Milky Way. Too bad I didn't have my scope with me then :)

I plan to make another trip to a dark sky, the dutch islands are a good candidate. And of course I'll bring my scope this time :)

Thas a nice pic :glasses2: what did you take it with?

Sent from my Now working iPhone using Tapatalk

I took it in my back garden 2 nights ago and last night I was up till the wee hours having another try at it. Not as easy as I thought it would be to get a good image as its soo massive. It filled the whole sky above me running from one end to the other really amazing sight just wish I didn't have to sleep at nights lol.

Not hard to do I just used a SLR camera and set it up on my tripod. Set the ISO at 1600 and 20 seconds with the lens opened right up and took 50 shots. Stacked them in deep sky stacker free software and finished in Photoshop. Still trying to get a better image but could do with a wide angle lens for this massive wonder.:rolleyes:

Milkyway%2525202.jpg

which lens did you use quatermass? did you stop it down at all (i find stopping my lens to f4ish usally brings less bluring) and attaching the camera directly to a bar to attach directly onto the mount you dont even need weights :glasses2: amazing pic though!:rolleyes:

I dont have a wide angle lens so stuck with my standard one but taking the weights of and tracking sounds a better idea I tryed it tonight but couldnt get enough shots as the clouds moved in bah.. Never mind if at first you dont succeed give up and go to bed. I shall return tomorrow night determined to get better at this the bug has bitten.

The lens is a 14-45mm/F3.5-5.6 lens I think it will do ok I just need to get the camera on the mount as suggested with out the telescope and weights would be better then if the clouds allow me enough time to get enough shots I reckon I will have got it sussed by then.. trail and error I tried it with the camera on the back of the scope and the trailing problem was gone in my few shots but I needed more of them to bring out the detail better. Still the stars wont go away and I can wait another night. Finding photographing the milky way much more challenging then I thought it would be but I like a challenge :glasses2:

that 14mm part of the lens should be wide enough :glasses2: just make sure focus is spot on and stepped down 1 or 2 steps. i always take 2 or 3 trial pics see how they come out extend time a little n then set it at 20 - 30 pics an go make a cuppa :rolleyes: i had a go photo'in it and its very difficult compared to some dsos

Archived