Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mosaic Planning

johnb

Hi

Need some pointers for Mosiac planning please, I have seen some programmes that assist but they do not seem cheap, is there any way I can somehow overlay a frame onto a star chart to see how much I can capture and then overlay a few more to understand how many frames I will need etc - I guess its all about which charts to use and then a matter of scale etc

Pointers appreciated

John B

There is a little free programme that does a similar thing. 'iMerge' allows you to pull your frames you take onto a canvas. From there you can movethem around and make sure you have an overlap etc.

You cant overlay on a star map but it might be of some use.

John I'm just about to do some mosaics and I'm planning on using EQMosaic. I have an EQDIR for my EQ6 and EQASCOM/EQMosaic are free. The EQDIR will set you back about £45 from FLO but it gives you complete control. You tell the software the size of your chip and it allows you to plan how you'll pan around then actually moves the mount accordingly when you tell it. I use it in conjunction with Cartes Du Ciel star maps program.

Just an idea.

Mark

sorry maybe its me, im looking for a tool \ method that allows me to plan from home before I go out, ideally a method of overlaying a box that represents the area I can cover, that way I can detrmine how many panes I need etc

John B

Accuracy is not bad, a 20% overlap sounds good, I suppose What im trying to do is create a rectangle based based on my FOV (wich i now have thanks to you) then find a decent star map as an image of the region in interested in say NGC7000 and some how place my rectangle on it and then another and another which will give me an idea of how many panels i need and were to start etc, does this make sense ?

John B

Archived