Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepieces for Celestron 6se

I read the guide and I guess Plossol are the best buy.

I have a 25mm and was thinking of getting a 10mm or 12.5mm but if I get a Barlow then the 25mm would be like a 12.5mm

Lookin for reccomendations on what mm to get and why not to get a Barlow, as mentioned in the eyepiece guide.

Thankyou :rolleyes:

The range of possibilities is huge - even more so because almost all eyepiece designs will work well in an F/10 scope like the 6SE.

Do you have a budget in mind ? - that might help narrow the choice down a bit.

Hi

As you can see I have a F/10 scope and as always John is correct I started with Meade 4000 plossl 52 FOV great view and easy to use and as you can see I then went for 82 FOV and so on ,I would say it is better to look through a 82 FOV on a 9mm than a 9mm 52 FOV just to slow things down so you can focus on the moons of Jupiter

Clear skies

Doug

Essex

Much as I liked my Celestron Plossls (especially the 26mm, built by Vixen) I disliked the narrow eye relief of the short focal lengths, and the too wide eye relief of the long. Once you have tasted wide field EPs the FOV of a Plossl seems a bit cramped. The BST Explorer ED EPs have a good rep. 60 deg FOV and good eye relief, as I recall. Very good value for money. The Baader Hyperions are more expensive, but also very good (68 deg FOV).

I got a 2" Diagonal and visual back for my 8", and I have read that this also works for the 6SE. This gives FAR better FOV, and allows you to use 2" EPs, like a 30mm Erfle and similar designs.

I did decide to get top of the line EPs because they will also work on faster scopes like my F/6 (and on a faster dob, should I want to get one). They also produce stunning wide field views in my F/10.

OK,

So since how much cash you want to spend and brands are numerous...can you reccommend what eyepiece focal length I should look at?

I have a 25mm and want to zoom in more. I was told to buy a 10mm but not to buy a Barlow. I'd like to buy a Barlow because it "doubles" my eyepieces... any advice on all that?

By the way picking out eyepieces seems to be as confusing as picking out paint with my wife for the house!!!

Thanks for the replies

I have a 6se so here is my tuppence. Do you wear glasses? I do and I found a lot of shorter plossls just too hard to use with the glasses in place (and since I am severely astigmatic, I need them). They have a short eye-relief. That means you need to get your eyeball very close to the eyepiece lens. I ended up with Baader Hyperions in 25mm, 17mm and 8mm, plus a good barlow. This allows me to view in comfort.

However, I did start off with the Revelation eyepiece kit First Light Optics - Revelation Photo-Visual Eyepiece kit, which allowed me to try out a range of focal lengths, with and without barlows. From that I worked out what focal lengths I wanted (and that I needed long eye-relief lenses). Then I watched the for sale section like a hawk until I was able to pick up the eyepieces I really wanted second hand.

old_eyes

I would be tempted to say the WO SWANS or the equivalent that are around.

9mm = 167x

15mm = 100x

20mm = 75x

However seems a fair jump at the lower focal lengths.

Perhaps the following Magnifications:

180x = 8mm

150x = 10mm

120x = 12.5mm

75x = 20mm

and a 32 for wider views (46x)

For this range I would have a look at Skys the Limit and see what is offered in the BST Exploroers or the TMB Clones.

Problem with selecting for use with a barlow is that you have to drop some and then you have to get a good barlow. Buying a barlow that turns a 32mm into a poor 16mm isn't much use.

Hello

I have a c6 and use hyperions which is great for the c6, i also use a 2" diaganol which allows use of true widefield eyepeices, i normally uae 36mm, 17mm and 10mm mostly depending on my target

Generally they are forgiving on eyepieces and are great all rounder scopes

Sent from my A101IT using Tapatalk

So I guess I'll be looking at the Hyperions and I can see why choosing a Barlow might not be the best idea. You need to buy an expensive one and instead you can just buy eyepieces for the same cash.

I was wondering though, you mentioned that I should go to a 2" eyepiece...I have 1.25" right now and was wondering if the 2" is worth the price before I start buying new eyepieces...what are the advantages of going that way?

Thanks

You don't 'need' to buy an expensive anything. I use a cheap 2x barlow which cost around £25 and it's been perfectly fine.

Increasing the budget gives more options. The TAL 2x is well regarded and around £40. Or go green with the Televue 2x barlow at around £85. Then the Celestron Ultima 2x is also popular and £89 from FLO.

The choice, as they say, is yours :)

See you are in Canada,recommending EP's that are common here may be a little irrelevant.

I see that Vancouver Telescopes are offering the following:

Antares W70 at $70-90

TV Plossls at $95-105 ish.

Canadian Telescopes Planetary's (5mm and 9mm ) at $68

Their front page says TV EP's at 20% off, so they could be in the $75-85 range.

Had another on the East side but cannot locate at present.

2" is useful for wide field viewing. it does not say anything about price, except that a 2" diagonal is going to be more expensive than a similar quality 1.25". If you are not into wide field objects, don't worry. I used to get a similar effect with a focal reducer and 1.25" EPs, but I do prefer the 2" set up (less glass is usually better).

Archived