SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Andromeda, yay.

astoc

Can't believe i just saw this, with a 70mm frac and light pollution from hell. Wasn't expecting much... it looked like this:

Still. Was nice to see a galaxy with my own eyes.

Jupiter looked cool though - could see the dark cloud banding which was nice :rolleyes:

Hi astoc, have you tried checking exactly where you were looking and at what time?

Just in case you do not have it yet download Stellarium

it should help you to see if you were in the right area of the sky, just set it for your own latitude/longitude.

M31 is a largish grey smudge and is nothing like an ordinary star, you'l know so when you do see it :rolleyes:

Oh it was definitely M31. I was exaggerating for comedic value when I said it looked like an asterisk, lol. It was very large in the eyepiece, but I could tell I was looking only at the bright centre.

I've seen the odd globular before through the same scope, and this (M31) was much brighter and larger to look at.

I found it by following an 'arm' of cassiopeia. 'Scanning' the sky, it was unmissable. (But nothing like in photographs, of course!)

Oh it was definitely M31. It was very large in the eyepiece, but I could tell I was looking only at the bright centre.

I've seen the odd globular before through the same scope, and this (M31) was much brighter and larger to look at.

I found it by following an 'arm' of cassiopeia. 'Scanning' the sky, it was unmissable. (But nothing like in photographs, of course!)

When I went searching for M31 through my 20 x 50 bins last week never thought about following out from Cassiopeia. I searched out nu Andromedae (which was no easy task lol ) and with a clear sky but a waning gibbous moon in the same quarter Andromeda galaxy only showed up as a relatively small faint grey smudge, there was no bright centre and it left me thinking that if this is the brightest dso I aint gong to see any more with these bins, then again that small faint grey smudge might just have been the bright centre washed out because of the bright moon, no?

I can remember looking at M31 with a 12 inch Dobsonian at a relatively dark site owned by a former member of our club . The Galaxy was so bright and large that I had to move the scope around in a circular pattern to see the whole thing ! The "little" companion galaxies were plainly visible, as well, and the various knots of light, and dust lanes were clearly visible in the eyepiece. I remember being amazed at how large the thing actually looked through that scope.

The first year I was trying astro-photography, I saw the core in my images, but the arms extended completely beyond the edges of my FOV. This was with an 8 inch F:10 scope. I have not returned to it with a telephoto lens with a wider FOV. I intend to !

Jim S.

Archived