Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter with 10x50s

Stevo

Just been outside looking at Jupiter with my Bino's. I know its a bit early and its not very high in the sky, but it looked impressive to me. I think I could just about make out two moons. One on the right quite close, and one on the left about 3 times further away. Checked the Sky at Night magazine sky guide, but I'm still not sure which moons they are.

I think you can see Ganymede to the left and Io to the right. Europa is too close to the planet to see easily at the moment and Callisto is "inside" Ganymede I believe and may therefore also be hard to see.

James

Went out again last night at about 1:30am.

Jupiter was higher in the sky, but it didn't improve the viewing. Could still see Io and Ganymede. Good viewing. Had a good view of Cassiopeia overhead, then had a good look at the Pleiades until a satellite passed overhead, and as always, I followed that until it went out of view.

Very clear night. I just wish I new more of what I was looking at up there. Going to have to start taking the laptop with Stellarium on it, or a book, out with me.

haha yes i saw cassiopeia the night before last and again i had a quick look at jupiter before i went to bed and still saw only 2 moons, brilliant to see tho, totally facinating. And yes i would like more of an idea of what im looking at up there too, best way i guess is finding the things you already know and then find something close to it and so on, thats what i'm going to do anyway..... Happy gazing :-)

Going to have to start taking the laptop with Stellarium on it, or a book, out with me.

I got the Collins Stars and Planets guide from the library its very detailed and useful out in the field, with monthly sky charts and each constellation has at least two pages, one with its chart and all the deep sky objects visible within and another with the information. It has very good moon maps as well. It is however slighty too big for all but my winter jacket pocket.

That sounds like the type of thing I need while I'm out there.

I've got a little red torch, so that would work.

I've started buying the Sky at Night magazine, so I'll start with their star charts.

Just need some clear skys again.

Stellaruim is brill for a helping hand and there are masses of books out there with star maps and monthly guides. i have just recieved my first Sky at night magazine so thats keeping me busy thru the daylight hours as well as working and every other thing you gotta do each day lol..... enjoy x

the thing that made all the difference for me was getting a monopod - i got a cheapo one for a tenner from amazon and it made a world of difference. i went from "yeah, there's jupiter, and maybe one? two? moons, i dunno..." to knowing for certain that i could see all the moons. highly recommended.

it was this one: Professional Aluminium Camera Monopod includes Footrest: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

build quality's not the best, but for the money...

not usually, it does give a bit of neck ache, but you're going to get that with a tripod too.

Not neccessarily!

The benbo and manfrotto 055xprob (there might be others too) have a centre column that can be set horizontally. This allows you to use the tripod head off centre and allows more viewing alternatives.

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/152394-lazy-observing-binoculars.html#post1916171

Like the pics in the link above I can use my 055xprob in a reclined deck chair or with the legs splayed wide the tripod head is only a few inches from the ground this allows you to even lie on a mat and view at the Zenith in complete comfort, a ball head helps with easy manouverability also. Although new we are talking about £160 or so for tripod and ball head.

• 1 month later...

I've been looking at Jupiter with my bins quite a bit and am amazed at the view. I'm using Opticron 8x40 Aspherics (£67 at FLO) and can pretty much always see 3 moons from my light polluted city back garden. The other is usually hiding in front or behind or too close to one of the other 3 though I have seen all four on one occasion.

Yesterday eve around 11pm was the best so far, now Jupiter is higher in the sky. I couldn't see any detail on the planet but felt this was only because of how bright it was. I wondered if I could have stopped down or filtered my view some how I might just have made some detail out. Very happy with these bins.

the thing that made all the difference for me was getting a monopod - i got a cheapo one for a tenner from amazon and it made a world of difference. i went from "yeah, there's jupiter, and maybe one? two? moons, i dunno..." to knowing for certain that i could see all the moons. highly recommended.

it was this one: Professional Aluminium Camera Monopod includes Footrest: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

build quality's not the best, but for the money...

I think I'll try one of those for that money.

I've been looking at Jupiter with my 10X50s, 15X70 and scope. Obviously the scope gives a totally different experience with loads of detail, but the bins are great for a quick look. I'd never realised you could see the moons of Jupiter without a scope. For this, I find the 10X50s better as I can hand hold them steady, whereas the 15X70s realy need to be on a tripod. The 10X50 ones (Olympus) are better quality than the 15X70 (Revelation) anyway.

I think I'll try one of those for that money.

Turned up today. Well, calling it a professional monopod is stretching things a bit, but hey, it was eight and a half quid. I'm at work and the bins are at home so I can't test it, but I think it'll work well even with the big 15X70s. Should be great to leave in the garage for quick observations sessions with the 10X50s. Fantastically quick service, too.

Turned up today. Well, calling it a professional monopod is stretching things a bit, but hey, it was eight and a half quid. I'm at work and the bins are at home so I can't test it, but I think it'll work well even with the big 15X70s. Should be great to leave in the garage for quick observations sessions with the 10X50s. Fantastically quick service, too.

great! let us know how it fares with the 15x70s.

Works well with the 10X50s. With the 15X70s, it makes them just about useable compared to hand holding, but to be honest they're heavy things, and really better on a tripod. I use a vintage Vivitar medium format camera tripod for them, which is great. Still, the monopod is fine for what I intended, which is the smaller bins, for grab and go observing.

Archived