NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Quattros CF or S????

Hi all,

I'm looking at a new purchase and was wondering if anyone's had much experience with the new SW Quattros. I have a budget of around £2,000 and was looking at an NEQ6 Pro mount with a SW Quattro 10". Do you think the price difference of £300 between the CF and S is worth it? As far as I can tell the only difference between the two is the tube material. I was also looking at purchasing a guide scoope and stand alone guide camera to dable in long exposure photography, the £300 saved would help towards this.

P.S. the CF versions do look cool though!!!

Sara, I've not had much luck finding the weight of the two, but I can't imagine it being that much of a difference, I could be wrong, I'm not exactly Mr Muscles so if there is a big difference in weight then I guess I would opt for the CF version, wouldn't want to through my back out!!!!!

The weight may be a factor, but the thermal stability of the CF will hold collimation better as the temperature plummets through those long dark winter nights...

For Astrophotography that should be an advantage but £300 is £300 so how much is that last ounce of quality worth to you, that's what you have to ask.

Cheers

Stuart, I did sort of have my mind on the CF version and think now I'll definately opt for it. But now thinking is the 10" version too big, might reconsider the 8" version.

I have toyed with the idea of getting one of these myself and thought about what size. For me, without a fixed observatory, it would have to be the 8".

I think to get the use of the 10" you would need a permanent or at least semi-permanent setup. At 10" it will catch any breeze going and you would need a good mount, maybe even better than an EQ6.

Whilst i have that in my CGE, it's a big old lug to cart around.

Decisions decisions......

Archived