Narrowband

Macbook Pro help please.

JonH

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro and need to replace the optical drive which has stopped working. Apple has quoted around £100 to fit a replacement, but as it's an aging machine, I'd rather opt for a cheaper alternative like this: Samsung SE-S084C/TSWS USB 2.0 8x DVD Writer External Optical Drive for PC, Netbook and Mac - White: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Before buying I wondered if there are any Mac users out there who have had the same problem and which external drive, if any, was purchased.

Cheers,

Jon

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro and need to replace the optical drive which has stopped working. Apple has quoted around £100 to fit a replacement, but as it's an aging machine, I'd rather opt for a cheaper alternative like this: Samsung SE-S084C/TSWS USB 2.0 8x DVD Writer External Optical Drive for PC, Netbook and Mac - White: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Before buying I wondered if there are any Mac users out there who have had the same problem and which external drive, if any, was purchased.

Cheers,

Jon

How good are you with the old spanners? You can pick up a replacement super drive for about £40

PS - 1000th post, yay me being a Sub Dwarf :rolleyes:

Thanks and congratulations Sub Dwarf!

I've found refurbs on the net for around £50. Is that what you mean?

Yup, the eBay ones I saw had 6 months warranty on them.

Just feels like a nicer solution to me (and my precious Macbook if it ever happened to me!) than using a USB one :rolleyes:

Thanks again, I'll check 'em out. I must admit, I don't fancy the inconvenience of an external unit.

And good luck with your drive. From what I read, it seems to be quite a common problem with Macs of a certain age.

there really easy to change out- cost me about £30 on ebay to get a new drive - few screws and its out more twiddles of the screwdriver and its in.

Give us a shout if you need any help - will try and find the online tutorial

there really easy to change out- cost me about £30 on ebay to get a new drive - few screws and its out more twiddles of the screwdriver and its in.

Give us a shout if you need any help - will try and find the online tutorial

iFixIt usually have good write ups

hello jonh

i use this one with my macbook pro

Samsung SE-S084F 8x DVDRW DL & RAM USB.. | Ebuyer.com

i dont know the difference between the amazon and this one (amazon being C this being F) but it is only £24

it works on the mac (it does have manual eject though)

it also works with windows and is self powered by usb port (has 2 but only one needed on my mac) my macbook pros the late 2008 model

Cheers for the link Gaz, your optical drive's suffered the same fate then. I'm going to check out the refurbed internal drives first. I travel with my mac and really don't want anymore bits to tote around.

My video card died as well recently but Apple replaced it for free because it was part of a nvidia defective batch. Apparently it's cost nvidia mega bucks footing the bill for all the dud cards supplied around 2009.

noooo mines working fine, but i bought it because its noise its making is sounding like its dieing so i got it to "help me not use it as much" it did indeed cost them alot for graphics mine was the mk1 unibody (whish usally is the one with all the defects) iv also got a mk1 macbook and everythings ok (same problem with disk drive though) its a really small drive though

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to the help I received here I now have a refurbished optical drive to replace the broken one in my Macbook. I've also downloaded and printed the necessary instructions from ifixit, and bought the correct tools for the job. So I'm all set, but before I take a deep breath and start dismantling my pride and joy, one last question for the techies out there - should I use an anti-static wrist strap?

I haven't seen any mention of one in the ifixit blurb, but other resources recommend them.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Archived