new purchase but puzzling scope

garethmob

after my grand father hurt him self the doctor said he was fine but it appeared he wasnt and he cant bend or lift for at least 4 months :p so i thought if i cant make one i could refit one with him so i could still spend quailty timetime :rolleyes: which is what matters most :)

(thanks for the help on suggestions in my other thread though guys ;))

8 " F6 dobsonian | eBay

just got back from leicester (fun 300 mile round trip in a 17 year old 1 l vw polo :p )

just got it outta car to inspect and theres a few things that are confusing me (bare in mind i didnt buy for scope just mount but it was a bonus)

the guy said the scope is a 8" f6 he also said it was "around 35 years old"

i just measured the size of the OTA and these are the measurements

10" 37"

these are the measurements of the scope i bought off earl (the OO 8 f6

9" 43"

the other lid is apparently a "sun filter" i havent used it (for obv reasons) but it appears to be mirror like i held it to a light in the house and couldnt see anything but the holder its in seems very very stirdy

the "focuser" is a push in pull one

heres some pics of the scope, it has a plaque on it saying it was made in the USA and theres also a plastic lid with navada (but could of been from somthing else

could i have a classic scope?

post-21834-133877651326_thumb.jpg

post-21834-133877651338_thumb.jpg

post-21834-133877651351_thumb.jpg

post-21834-133877651364_thumb.jpg

post-21834-133877651377_thumb.jpg

post-21834-133877651389_thumb.jpg

post-21834-133877651401_thumb.jpg

Wow ! - I've not seen one of those for years. I recall they did 2 flavours of 8" as the Blue Book suggests. Their adverts also showed a 40" :rolleyes: but I don't think they made many (any ?) of those.

I think in the USA it might be regarded as a bit of a classic now.

£60?? - can't believe it's just round the corner from me and I missed it totally lol. I would say you did very well imho.

Send an email to Widescreen Center asking about it - they have a link with the US company Murnaghan_Instruments who still do parts for them I understand. They'll have info on this I'm sure :rolleyes:

ooooo if id known brantuk id av popped around...... it was one hell of a drive, in reality it was the same distance (1 way) that i do in work in the van delivering, but the 2 ways killed me :)

sadly its raining outside at present otherwise id give it a go i might see how its collimation is like

and i was saying the other day to a member on here i cnt join the classic group cos i dont have a classic scope!

i was going to sell it to offset the cost but i think i might keep it now!

i'll give them a bell now :rolleyes:

Archived