SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How do you know when the Mooon is not your part of the sky?

Ah the Moon, bless it's cotton socks...But obviously it's better when it's not there! I have enough trouble trying to find objects in dark skies, when the moon is up, forget it! I assume there's something to tell you if it's in the sky or not. I have been mucking around with Cartes du Ceil but I'm not sure if it's telling me the truth or not :D.. If anyone knows has some software or books or even some pointers on how you can get Cartes du Ceil to tell you if the Moon is going to be around on a particular evening, I'd be very appreciative!

Well, generally you will keep an eye on what the moon is doing most of the time. You know that after last quarter the moon will not be up early, so your evening is safe, and until first quarter it will be setting before midnight, so you've got two weeks in each lunation when you can observe reliably for a significant portion of the night. The rest of the time, you can give in and observe the moon, it's quite fun.

A lot of standard calendars have the moon phases on them. Other sources could be...

-Astronomy Software

-Any astro magazine

-Previous observations (How many days agao was the last full moon?)

-Word of mouth ?

-Some wierd and wonderful calculation after finding out the high tide times ?? :D

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

Archived