SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepiece advice

Bluemoon

Hi

I am looking at purchasing a new eyepiece but I am undecided at which way to go. I purchased a nirvana UWA 16mm and have been very impressed with it, I only have 2 other lenses that I use these being the baader ortho 6mm and 32mm plossl. I would like a eyepiece that delivers the quality of the nirvana but allows me to see the planets closer, the 6mm is good and allows you to see the image bigger but the quality does suffer I believe in some circumstances. On the other hand it may be better to look at an eyepiece between 16mm and 32mm that provides a good field of view with excellent clarity.

So to some up I can't descide whether to go between 6mm - 16mm or 16mm - 32mm, I don't have a fortune to spend but I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for and have not regretted spending the extra on the nirvana.

Any advice would be very welcome, thanks

Ben

9mm would be a pretty useful focal length in your scope I reckon. The Baader GO's are as good as it gets optically unless you pay a heck of a lot more and they do a 9mm.

If you wanted a wide field of view then there are the 8mm or 10mm Hyperions (no 9mm) which work very well at F/11.8.

Your 6mm ortho gives 250x magnification which quite high and really only usable on nights of excellent seeing. I would recommend something in the 8mm range for approx 180x mag with your scope. An 8mm Hyperion or 9mm ortho (Baader Genuine Orthos are among the best) would get much more use with your setup. The orthos are hard to beat for sharpness for very little money. I have used the 8mm Hyperion and its a really good ep.

Thanks guys, I agree it is wise to take into account the scope I am going to be using the eyepiece on when making the decision. There seems to be a liking for the baader hyperions which is interesting as I didn't really think about those.

I have used the 8mm Hyperion and its a really good ep.

I bought Damo's 8mm Hyperion recently and he's not wrong - I'm really pleased with it :icon_scratch:

Another alternative might be a good quality 2x barlow to use with your 16mm UWA? Not sure how that would perform though :)

Not sure myself really, thought looking at an eyepiece would produce the best results but good idea. The recommendation are appreciated, the 8mm Hyperion seems to be quite flexible with the fine tuning rings and camera attachment, I thought I'd be needing to spend around £200 but these seem well priced.

.... I thought I'd be needing to spend around £200 but these seem well priced.

Thats because you have a slow scope - most eyepieces will work very well with it :)

If it was an F/5 then you would need to invest more to get excellent performance, especially towards the edges of the field of view.

See that's showing my lack of knowledge he he and is why I am after advice, it's all about getting the best results from the scope I have, suppose there is no point spending a fortune, but there is a lot of choice out there.

The less than perfect view with the 6mm BGO is down to the high mag and limited resolution with your scope. It is probably not due to the eyepiece. A 9mm BGO would be a beauty. My best eyepiece with the Skymax is a Meade 8.8mm UWA. Any higher power and the view gets mushy.

I didn't think about the 9mm Baader GO because the 6mm wasn't as clear as the Nirvana 16mm UWA, thought it was best to go with the largest field of view but as stated my scope would possibly suit the 9mm better.

Thanks again for the advice I think the best options to do a little research on are -

Meade 5000 8.8mm UWA

Baader Hyperion 8mm

Baader GO 9mm

Nirvana 7mm UWA

Zoom eyepieces

Baader Hyperion 8mm-24m

Hyper Flex 7.5mm-22.5mm

I'm in the position of making a similar decision, with similar choices. For just planetary, the BGO looks like the way to go, but I'm tempted with something with greater field of view to show more of the moon.

The Hyperion's seem to get really good reviews, but my other option is the new(ish) Celestron X Cel LX, as it would match my 25mm. Trouble is, I can't find any reviews from anyone who's tried any of the high mag LX eyepieces!

The comments above are certainly helpful, and have pushed me towards the 8/9mm range rather than anything higher mag.

I have been using the 7mm X-Cel LX. So far it seems to be as good as the 18mm and 25mm ones, although the weather hasn't been co-operating so I haven't been able to test it out properly yet. However despite the limited use it's had so far I'd rate it as excellent for sharpness and contrast and has very little edge distortion. Performance is what I'd expect from a Televue Radian, but I still want to try it in my f/4.5 dob to see how it holds up in a very fast scope.

John

The Baader BGOs are very good in terms of sharpness, but at short focal lengths the eye relief is very poor. If you have no trouble with the 6mm, the 9mm will be fine. For wider field of view, and better eye relief you could try the TMB Planetary EPs. Good value for money by all accounts

Archived