SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M8 Lagoon (Ha) complete

Uranium235

At last!!!! Some clear sky last night! And the southern horizon was clear, so it gave me the chance to add to the 30min I already had on this.

This was the first outing for the FLO SW focal reducer push-fit adaptor. And it made the whole job of tweaking the camera angle a hell of a lot easier, well worth getting if you have a skywatcher focal reducer and your optical train is t-threaded together. Using this adapter I could probably squeeze in M31 on just two panes. I did a little test to see if it worked, still needs more subs though.

Anyway, I guess its adios to M8 until next year I think.. not unless a miracle happens and we get clear sky this week so I can grab some OIII before it gets way too low. I stuck to 5min subs because purely becuase I didnt trust the guiding that low in the sky, stacked with DSS and processed in PS, being careful to try and retain the detail in the core of the nebula.

Sure was glad to get out though, the long wait for clear sky was almost comparible to a severe bout of constipation.... youre desperate for it, but you cant go :)

M8: Lagoon Nebula

18x300 (Ha)

ED80 (0.85x), Atik 314L+

Setpoint: -10

Guiding: Challenging

Thanks for looking :icon_scratch:

Rob

attachment.php?attachmentid=66182&stc=1&d=1314043790

And a wee nibble at M31 (12x300) (L)

attachment.php?attachmentid=66183&stc=1&d=1314043790

post-18171-133877650699_thumb.jpg

post-18171-133877650706_thumb.jpg

Hi Rob - I do like your lagoon, but I'm actually more interested in the FOV you got on M31 - WHEN I (eventually) get my PHD guiding sorted(?), I was anticipating a 4 mosaic RGB with the 80mm (putting the core in each corner) plus a lower exposure central core shot... However looking at your frame I can see it will probably need 6 or 8 panes, and if the number of clear skies we've had to date continue, I don't think I'd finish it this year!

Cheers Andy, the M31 test was taken by rotating the camera so the galaxy appears across the length chip, rather that corner to corner (that was my original plan too) as it would if the camera is mounted square to the focuser. Just trying to find the laziest possible way of getting M31 :)

It was shot at 510mm, so your Equinox will have pretty much the same FOV. I dont mind clipping the edges slightly with just 2 panes, and I could try and use the colour from the DSLR version if I dont have enough time for LRGB. It works pretty well, I had a little play with it earlier using registar.

attachment.php?attachmentid=66186&stc=1&d=1314046160

post-18171-13387765072_thumb.jpg

Rob, you're on a roll, banging out superb images one after another! I really like the contrast you have brought out in the images. As you mention, if you can add some OIII data to the M8 image it will enhance it even more - nevertheless they are both cracking good images.

THAT is quality, your Lagoon! Sharp, smooth, strong signal and feisty contrasts to bring out the structures in there. Clean stars...etc etc. Really great. Chapeau.

Andromeda is going well, too. When you get the whole thing you can play with the colour in the core a bit. It never comes out the same twice!

Olly

Thanks Olly & Andy :) the forecast is looking favourable for fri/sat night so the colour versions might be on. The only problem with mixing the colour from the DSLR version though is that the star colour is almost non-existent.

Maybe I could do some quick RGB frames just for the stars and add it as another layer? Ive not tried adding just star colour yet though, so that will be a bit of an experimental process - every days a school day!

Thanks Olly & Andy :) the forecast is looking favourable for fri/sat night so the colour versions might be on. The only problem with mixing the colour from the DSLR version though is that the star colour is almost non-existent.

Maybe I could do some quick RGB frames just for the stars and add it as another layer? Ive not tried adding just star colour yet though, so that will be a bit of an experimental process - every days a school day!

Worth a go. I'd suggest a quick RGB star layer, highly saturated (never mind the noise) aligned and placed underneath the main image. Then select stars on the top layer (Noel's Action is quickest but the MartinB method in his tutorials works a treat). Expand and feather by a little, not much, then erase the selected star centres to let the RGB show through. I've used this to restore natural star colour to HaRGB images.

Olly

Thanks Andy, I must admit its a bit of a toughie being only 11deg above the horizon, ive a feeling it might not get completely finished (in colour) until next year because the weather isnt looking good for this bank holiday weekend (flamin' typical!). Fingers crossed anyways :rolleyes:

Archived