SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What an Idiot

MorningMajor

I'm referring to myself here - let me explain

According to Stellarium, the ISS was due to pass over last night at about 9.48 and run straight through the Plough - Great photo op I thought, so armed with my daughters Nikon and a tripod, I got out early - framed the Plough beautifully, practised a few test shots, all looked well - and so i waited - as the time approached I was convinced nothing could go wrong.........

As promised the ISS rose - bright and glorious as ever and on time - but, looking at its projectory there was no way it was going to go through the Plough - rising just west of Arcturus it would have had to have taken a major detour to go through my camera's FOV, so it sailed silently overhead, with me below mouth open in frustration and disappointment.

I stormed inside, cursing my favourite programme's innaccuracy - how could this happen - I checked again - yup the ISS trail right through the Plough - what went wrong - yup. you've guessed it - somehow, my location in Stellarium was set for Paris!!!!

Well, if there any French astronomers out there, last night you had a wonderful photo opportunity :)

As I said, what an idiot!

I had a similar problem although not with Stellarium. I didn't know the ISS was due to come over from the West on Sunday night but was out at that time about to take some star trail images. I saw it coming up behind a tree, instantly recognizing it as the ISS and frantically starting trying to attach my camera to the ridiculously small and tedious screw on top of the tripod in the dark. Needless to say I didn't manage it in time so watched the station fly silently over my head.

Better luck next time!

On my version, you can type ISS into the search box and it will appear - also called Zarya - but to see it's track on Stellarium you have to select the satellite hints button in the bottome toolbar or press ALT+Z - Heavens Above is a great site to use to find out when visible passes in your area are available

Ooh, and don't forget to get your location right!!

Archived