Narrowband

Kelling Heath Chat Thread (Autumn 2011)

brantuk

Mobile data is available (albeit slow) on all three fields...

But if you are on the fields, your access is going to be patchy, depending on your location. As such, I am hoping this will help a bit!

That looks a rather cool bit of kit SteveL, Guess I'll have to to take a punt on access :)

colin

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Given the huge wifi range we had at SGL6, i hope we can get a decent 3G signal, otherwise i`ll have to restrict access to stop it coming to a standstill :)

Will it extend out to the Yellow field Steve, or will I have to skulk in the bushes again? :)

How long after sunset is considered 'dark' as you can't arrive in your car?

I can only start after school from Sheffield so that's 3.30. Drive time says GMaps is 3 hrs 15 mins. Probably 4 hrs more like. So I am really cutting it fine...

How far is it from car park to red field to be carrying a 13kg tent pack...

It will get dark around 6:30 and by 7pm you'll not be able to drive onto the field and set up using lights. You'll need to park in the car park overnight and set up in the morning.

So I would suggest you keep the sleeping bags on top of all the luggage so they are handy. And leave a small gap behind the front seats so you can recline the seats for a comfy sleeping position. Arrive as late as you can - this will reduce the length of time kipping in the car till dawn :)

(You can allways wonder round the site for several hours to while away time so have red lights handy as well. You'll get a look in some scopes and adjust to being awake at night and sleeping through the mornings - come see me on 304 at dawn and I'll give you a hand pitching).

It will get dark around 6:30 and by 7pm you'll not be able to drive onto the field and set up using lights. You'll need to park in the car park overnight and set up in the morning

As I figured. Maybe I'll go earlier and pitch and kids after school with wife somehow follow later.

Thanks for the heads up!

If its clear at night, observe/image DSO or planetary, and try to stay awake beyond 10pm (yes, red field, i`m looking at you! :) )

If its clear during the day, observe/image solar, or just wander around and talk to people, or catch up on sleep from an all-nighter

If its not clear, then thats beer-o-clock, or time for a Kelling Combo at the restaurant, or pancakes for breakfast at Brackens.

Weather? What weather?

This ones good - I have two of them:

Cases, Bags and Covers for Telescopes and Other Optics

Just two days of work left and I'll be packing the caravan Friday and heading for Kelling Sat morning - very excited now :)

Yeah I saw them, though as my plastic is about to explode I'm thinking something more like this:

Cheap and cheerful

Seems to be dimensionally sound!

Archived