SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Goto problems........help please!

I just popped out thinking I'd catch a few glimpses through the breaks in the clouds and take the chance to try out my new synacan upgrade. Lined up with Polaris all fine, entered co ords, time, date etc all fine. Selected 2 star alignment and first star as arcturus. Started slewing towards it and then the dec motor started to make a grinding noise. I stopped it straight away and manually moved it around but every time I moved the dec motor in that direction it would go a little then same thing. I took the scope back inside and set up in my livingroom, thinking I had not pit it together properly I took the cover off and moved it around. Whilst doing this I thought it seemed like too mush weight was on the motor at that point, I then realised I forgot to balance the scope!!!!! I quickly sorted this and tried again and no weird noises..... Played around with it for 10 and all seemed fine. Looked out back and cloud was coming in thick and fast so will have to leave totomorrow night to try again.

Has anyone else encountered this sort of thing before and would a unbalanced scope be likely to affect the motors like this????

If it's not balanced right it will certainly put more strain on the motors and that will manifest itself as a bit of a grinding noise. Depends on how far out the balance is as to how bad it will sound and how much you're damaging it. :)

The Dec motor on my EQ5 made a similar sound yesterday. This happens when the meshing is too tight, or as BrantUK pointed out, if the scope is not balanced correctly, or overloaded.

I noticed you have the upgrade, so you would of fitted the drives yourself, and chances are bolted them up too tight. One trick that used to work with model trains, which should also do the same here is to place a cigarette paper (roll ups) between the gears whilst meshing them, then when you run them the paper is expelled but leaves just enough gap to stop them binding

I checked the gears again and seem ok. Once balanced all seemed fine so hoping this was the problem. I was aware not to over tighten the gears when putting together so hope I've not over tightens them still. Will bear it in mind though malcolm, thanks.

Cheers brantuk, I thought the balance being out meant too mush weight put on the motors at that point. Like I say once balanced seemed ok but will try again tomorrow.

Archived