Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Dann

M31 - First Attempt

Hi

Last night I had my first go at M31.

95x 30sec subs @ ISO800

darks/flats/bis etc. and stacked in DSS.

Some guiding goodies are on the shopping list for next month but at the moment I'm struggling with gradients on almost all of my images and spend an age trying different things in Photoshop to iron them out. (it was a lot worse than this to start with) I suppose the moon didn't help last night but would some sort of light pollution filter help at all? At the moment in using my Nikon D40 at prime focus with no filters.

Thanks for looking :)

post-26486-133877649413_thumb.jpg

Very nice for your 1st attempt, a good deal of detail and colour coming through. Thanks for sharing.

Gary

When i get my new mount, if my first DSO image is half as good as that id be happy, well done :)

Jay

Looks like all is still going well Dann.

Nice image. Guiding goodies.!.it'll be an obsy next..:)

Very nice 1st M31 Dann. Way way better than my first go at it. Actually it`s way way better than all my attempts at it. Well done.

Very good indeed. I wouldn't consider imaging in anything other than Ha at the moment because the moonlight is still intense.

If you are going to be battling with gradients you need Pixinsight. Simple as that. Gradient Xterminator is good but PI is in another league when it comes to sorting the background sky. (Even from my dark site this can be the hardest thing to get right.)

So, well done and keep at it when the moon has cleared off. Won't be long now.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

Thanks for the comments and encouragement.

Ill have to give Pixinsight a go, im hesitant to switch just because im so used to Photoshop.

Excellent for the 1st attempt. As much as it is big, it is really hard to get the right subs and process well.

I too would recommend learning and buying PI. I use it along with PhotoShop.

I use PI for stacking, calibration, and raw processing. I finish up with CS5 for presentation and colours.

PI is great for the processing of gradients and raw data, but I still prefer the interface and workflow of CS5 for colours etc.

That is a really good first attempt, well done and keep at it.

Great image has inspired me to go and give it another go once these clouds decide to bug off that is.

Great pic but can I ask is this an image taken with just the skywatcher and the 5x barlow cause i got the skywatcher 150 and with my 2x barlow M31 is just a smudge and almost unrecogniseable.

I wouldnt even consider taking a pic with it. Realy great pic im so envious.

Kev.

What a great Image! especially for a first attempt!! keep it up!

Thanks for the comments.

Kev - I didn't use a Barlow, just the camera attached directly to the telescope at prime focus.

M31 is huge and only just fits into my cameras field of view, the smudge your referring to is probably just the bright centre of the galaxy (this is all I see when I look through the telescope) but with a little more exposure time you start to see the spiral arms and dust lanes, making the object a whole lot bigger.

Wow,

Thanks for the reply Dan,

So I take it then that you were not expecting the results you got, the pic is great, My other problem is that the view finder on my Pentax is frosted so getting a good focus is hard if not almost impossible, I need a new DSLR unless I can change the viewfinder.

Kev.

Thanks. Yes, still a long way to go to reach a level anywhere near some of the fantastic images on this forum but I'm pretty pleased with it.

Have you tried using a Bahtinov Mask for focusing? I struggled to focus until I got myself one. Now I point the scope at a bright star, put the mask over the end and take 5 second exposures, adjusting the focus each time until its spot on.

Some people use live view to do this but my Nikon doesn't have that so my camera downloads each image to my laptop and I check them on there.

my Nikon doesn't have that so my camera downloads each image to my laptop and I check them on there.

Good Idea I can probably do that too, when the clouds go away for more than a few hours I'll give it a go.

thanks,

Kev.

So much to learn so little time.. Inspired I had another crack at it and this was my poor results. I took 80 or so shots at 25 seconds with an ISO of 800 and about 30 darks but not lights still have not got round to understanding that bit. Editing it in photoshop still requires more practise any one want to have a go at editing my orginal file to see if it can be improved. Im sure I have lots of info in the data just struggling to bring it out and being colour blind doesnt help much lolm13%252520galaxy.JPG

Had another crack at it today getting there but its soo horrible and grainy. Lots of noise I need a better camera for this stuff sigh more money...

Andromeda.JPG

Had another crack at it today getting there but its soo horrible and grainy. Lots of noise I need a better camera for this stuff sigh more money...

Its far far better than what I got so far , keep it up we all got to start somewhere.

Kev

My last attempt at this one until I can get out there and have another try this time remembering to use RAW format instead of JPGs duh... Still its all a learning curve I guess and its good fun as well. Any one else out there got a lumix G1 Camera?

androm.JPG

Think I have just about got it now and fairly happy with this one after going out last night and having another crack at it sorry if the colours are not quite right but thats just me.

nice%2Bone%2Bmarky.jpg