Narrowband

EQ6 non GOTO

Kaminovs

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't think the EQ6 came in a "non goto" version ??

It does, it's the black model.

Do you not just plug in a synscan handset to make the EQ6 a GOTO? I think this is the case with the dobs ?

You're thinking of the syntrek version which has the same stepper motors as the synscan but without the synscan handset. This one has the same kind of motors as the EQ3/5 motor kits. It is GOTO upgradeable though.

Tony..

I don't think you'll have missed out Gaz. If they are similar motors to the EQ3/5 motor kits? they are not all that good. A quick check shows the GT upgrade kits to be £300 so that would make the total £680 and with out having a guide port there would not be the high demand from imagers making the re-sale value low in comparison to HEQ6's.

If you don't mind having to search the skies and struggling finding the more challenging DSO's then it would probably do just fine. I just think the motors could prove to be the Achilles heal. OK you can upgrade them but HEQ6PRO's come up S/H for around £650 S/H so would it really be worth it ???

You're thinking of the syntrek version which has the same stepper motors as the synscan but without the synscan handset. This one has the same kind of motors as the EQ3/5 motor kits. It is GOTO upgradeable though.

Tony..

I forgot to ask. What is the difference anyway? Syntrek is just a point and go mount isn't it ?

No worries :), the main difference is in the motors. The syntrek/synscan mounts have stepper motors while the black EQ6 has the same type of motors as the EQ5 RA/dual drive upgrade kits. The GOTO upgrade kits for the HEQ5/EQ6 have the stepper motors, synscan handset and the necessary control board.

Tony..

Archived