Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

first time GOTO.

Hi,

I have now fitted my Synscan pro GOTO upgrade kit to my EQ5 after finding a very useful thread on here to show me how to fit it.

I quickly powered it up just to check the motors were working ok and all seem to move nicely.

Just wondering if anyone got any tips on the setup process before I have to search online for it. i.e how do i find my location etc and how is it entered? also do I need daylight saving on etc the usual noobs questions which i'm sure you may have answered a million times before.

many thanks in advance for any replies.

I find Google earth is good for you location or do what i done and buy a cheap handheld GPS from Ebay (£30).

To enter your location you will type in WEST first and then NORTH, for an example the end of Penarth pier is 51 26'05.28 NORTH & 3 09'53.18 WEST, your GOTO handset will want them entered like this 003 09' W & 051 26'

The date will be in an American format which is MONTH first then DAY and then YEAR

Time in 24HR

Daylight saver to YES as we are in British summer time

Hope this helps

Well I didn't thik I would but I just sat and read the handbook, makes more sense to me now. one thing im not sure about is once the scope has slewed to a object i.e jupiter, will it automatically track the object or do you have to select the tracking of it some how?

It will track automatically. But you might have to select Sidreal.

I think it has 3 tracking speeds.

Sidereal for stars........luner for moon and Solar for sun.

I see you are in Cardiff................You would be most welcome to join the Welsh valleys group.

Just open the communities link then social and look for Welsh valleys.

thanks just had a play around with it for 10 ins and its not as hard to use as I thought. just need a clear night to get out and try it. cant wait now...

yeah i've joined already, will have to come along to a meet soon.

Archived