Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1st image with my Off Axis Guider and 20 minute subs

Catanonia

Eventually I have managed to find a working Off Axis Guiding solution for my MN190 and QHY9 + Filter wheel combination. I bought a TS OAG from a member on the forum and with a bit of work I managed to get it all installed and focused on the MN190.

Doing this allowed me to loose about 15kg from the mount in terms of counterweights and guide scopes + attachments.

The MN190 is perfectly balanced in all 3 axis on the EQ6 pro mount and so last night was the big test.

I picked SH2-155 / Caldwell 9 or commonly known as the Cave Nebula as it was in a good position for a guiding test. Starting fairly high up and moving to zenith around 1am.

All set up and started to take 20 minute subs in 8nm Ha of the cave and immediately after the 1st sub saw perfect guiding and round stars at 20 minutes.

Before I was struggling to get 8 minutes and perfectly round stars with all the weight on the mount previosuly with a MN190, ED80, cameras and dual ADM bars.

I took 15 x 20minute subs of Ha until the clouds rolled in and they were all perfect.

So happy now, can really start to maximize the potential of the MN190 with the QHY9 CCD camera.

So after a quick processing run with PI here is my 1st test image with the TS OAG and MN190 + QHY combination.

15 x 20 miutes 8nm Ha, darks, flats and bias removed and processed in PI / CS5

post-16631-13387764831_thumb.jpg

That's a very nice result. I'm still waiting for the skies to become dark enough to test my TS OAG. Do you find that the prism slider mechanism is a bit prone to coming loose and becoming wobbly? I might look at modifying mine a bit once I've done some test runs.

James.

That's a very nice result. I'm still waiting for the skies to become dark enough to test my TS OAG. Do you find that the prism slider mechanism is a bit prone to coming loose and becoming wobbly? I might look at modifying mine a bit once I've done some test runs.

James.

Replace the screws with Solder Tipped Grubs screws to prevent this as it is a pain.

Archived