Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Horwig

If IKEA made telescopes

Very inspirational stuff!!!!!

Looking forward to seeing the mount build too! :)

Thanks for sharing,

Michael

Wow, I wonder if I would have the patience, or the skill... Is this to be a one off or will we be seeing an independent scope maker, maybe taking orders, (hint, hint)

Seriously, very well done and I look forward to seeing the images...

Thanks for the link to the fine thread cutters Francis, truth is the leadscrew doesn't have to be that fine. The CFZ for this scope is of the order of 30 microns, which translates to 20 degree rotation of the m3 leadscrew. If I were to go up to an m6, it would give me 10 degrees, still plenty with a 200 step stepper.

Huw

Things have taken an unexpected turn. I've got myself a late and very unexpected Xmas present. On ab&s last week I saw an old Beacon Hill fork for sale, originally for a 14 inch, but thought it was worth a look. The result of which was I now have the makings of a fork mount for very reasonable money! It's going to need a redesign to handle my ota, but it has a really good 11 inch worm and wheel on RA. The Dec drive is a sector only, and it has an old AWR stepper system.

I've ordered an 8inch worm and wheel set from Beacon Hill for the Dec axis, and the re-designed fork is being fabricated. I'm going to use the present fork tines, shortened, with a new saddle assembly and reinforcing plates(see pic), the original fork is 6mm ali plate, the new bits are 10 and 12 mm.

Originally the RA gear was at the bottom of the axis, which made it hard to 'mount' the mount, I've moved them up the top of the axis which will also give them some more protection. Some of the bearings were in a bad way, so new inserts have been ordered, the next process will be lots of Nitromors and a wire brush.

Huw

post-19412-133877723769_thumb.jpg

post-19412-133877723774_thumb.jpg

post-19412-133877723778_thumb.jpg

Progress is slow, new sections for the fork arrived this week from the water jet people, here they are, assembled together with the fork tines salvaged from the original, ready to go to the welder. New bearing inserts have arrived, and motors for the drives. One thing is certain, flex should not be an issue, all the new sections are 12mm ali...

Holidays and work will keep me off it for the next month.

Huw

post-19412-133877731869_thumb.jpg

post-19412-133877731874_thumb.jpg

Blimey! Dunno how I missed this thread until now.

Superb stuff.

Very interesting indeed.

Regards Steve

Thought I'd better mate the ota to the mount before I made any more progress, just in case... It's huge, just over 6 foot high at zenith, and the bare fork, without polar axis is as much as I can comfortably lift!

Huw

post-19412-133877749049_thumb.jpg

post-19412-133877749055_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That looks awesome.;)

What a tool that's going to be.

Awesome indeed! ;) No half measures ;)

Huw....

when you have finished this would you mind making me a Lamborghini please, after reading this thread i reckon you could do it!!!

;)

Top Job

Thanks for the comments everybody, but I hope you are very patient John, first light is still a long way off.

Still lots to do, the mount drive is coming along well, as is a new sole plate with fine azimuth control. On the ota I'll need to anodise the secondary assembly before trying the optics, only then will the plastic pipes be replaced with carbon fibre. The mk II focuser will also need upgrading to mkIII, the sag in it was dreadful.

Huw

Not much real progress, but I'm not working for the next four weeks, so things should speed up, but anyway, here are some pics of work done since the last post.

1: polar axis getting there, polar scope bracket made,( probably not going to bother painting it, hopefully it'll only be needed the once!)

2: sole plate and fine azimuth control, m12 rod between both mounting points, and the fixed central "nut" should do the trick. Polar wedge not yet welded to the sole plate.

3: Worm and motor, drive assembly is hinged and spring loaded against the wheel. Going to paint the whole thing white eventually, should stop me bumping into it quite as much)

4: Dec trunion and drive, showing belt drive. Motors are Pittman 12v with encoders.

5: Dec worm set, I've got two flange bearings stacked on this side, hopefully that should keep alignment of the axis.

6: end view of the dec drive, eventually going to make covers to protect the worm wheel.

Huw

post-19412-133877760652_thumb.jpg

post-19412-133877760658_thumb.jpg

post-19412-133877760663_thumb.jpg

post-19412-133877760669_thumb.jpg

post-19412-133877760675_thumb.jpg

post-19412-133877760681_thumb.jpg

Edited by Horwig
  • Like 1

Good stuff.

Looking forward to see how it progresses over the next four weeks.

Thought I'd better mate the ota to the mount before I made any more progress, just in case... It's huge, just over 6 foot high at zenith, and the bare fork, without polar axis is as much as I can comfortably lift!

Huw

It's a real work of art, but one you can stargaze with! Absolutely stunning!

IT WORKS!!!!!!

Well, up to a point, mirrors have been mounted, but only tried it in daylight so far. I've had to extend the ota by about 30mm to get focus in a reasonable place. Am I pleased that I made it with plastic pipes before cutting the carbon fibre, you bet.

I've tried my hand at anodising, and I've had awful results, so the spider and secondary mount are sprayed, and not too bad, even if it's only me that says so.

The funny thing araldited to the back of the secondary is a safety strap, an idea from John Nichol, and I'm pleased that it's there, the original silicon I used was old, and didn't set, so the mirror slid off the mount - but was held by the strap.

It's time to clear out the obsy in preparation for building the new one, so my lx200gps 10" is going to go on ab&s, together with a ton of associated kit, including wedge, portable pier and an extending pier, etc. etc.

If anybody's interested in it drop me a pm.

Huw

post-19412-133877764642_thumb.jpg

post-19412-133877764648_thumb.jpg

post-19412-133877764654_thumb.jpg

post-19412-13387776466_thumb.jpg

post-19412-133877764665_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That safety strap is indeed a good idea. I will incorporate it into my build after the secondary has had its recoat.

Glad the daylight test went well:)

Regards Steve

Glad the safety strap worked, sorry to say it was not my original idea, read about it somewhere.... can't remeber exact details. I have enjoyed following this thread Huw, and look forward to your first light report.

John

Now should I start a new thread on the obsy board, or lump it all in here?

Trouble is, instead of working on one job at a time, I've found myself doing the ota, mount and obsy together.

This is a before and after of the obsy. Hopefully tonight will be clear so I can do a rough polar align, then concrete can be done this weekend.

The new one will be a dome, 2.4m dia of plywood. And as always, I'l keep you posted.

Any dome builders, I'd like to hear from you, so that I know the pitfalls before I start.

Huw

post-19412-133877765786_thumb.jpg

post-19412-133877765792_thumb.jpg