Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

16" Dobsonian

Does anyone own one on here ?

Just how huge are they ?

Any photos showing the size with a human in to give perspective

Are they practical to move about , will they fit through a std door frame

I cant fine a site that tells you the dimensions ?

All I have found so far is this re shipping

" Ships in three boxes (31.7 / 58.4 / 13.4 kgs) "

any advise / information will help

They are very large - a LightBridge 16" is about 6ft high (pointing straight up) and the mirror box is very heavy - you'll need two people to lift it comfortably. It will break down and go into a small car - but I doubt it'll go through standard door frames fully assembled - patio doors are fine.

Next time you're up in London - pop over to the Widescreen Center in Baker Street to have a look at one - or hop along to the next nearest starparty for a day out and look around. Or join a local astro soc - someone's bound to have one :)

I had a look at one of the 350 Flextube's a couple of weeks ago - the folks from First Light told me that the base from that was a 2 person lift and it certainly did not look like it would fit through a standard door.

I've owned a 12" dobsonian and that was a practical proposition for 1 person to move out from a house (in 2 parts) and set it up reasonably easily.

I built the dob referred to in Nick's link above. the OTA is heavy. I'd estimate about 70-80 pounds. I use a sack truck to move this about. the base is quite light, about 25 pounds.

I built my base to the minimum dimensions I could to retain stability and it is 21" (540mm) square so easily goes through a standard internal door which is about 28/29" I think.

my scope is an f4 so has a tube length of 1600mm. I bought this focal length as I wanted to ensure the scope fit into my car like my other scopes (12" f5.3 (sold) and 6" f11). my car is a Rover 200 hatchback so not a big car by any stretch.

SW 400p Flex-Tube comes in 3 boxes...15"(38cms) x 37"(94cms) x 37"(94cms).... 26"(66cms) x 25"(63cms) x 48"(122cms)....22"(56cms) x 12"(30cms) x 22"(56cms)

After unpacking...& there is a lot of packaging...it took 25 mins to set-up...with the base fully constructed..it will not go through a household door...however if you undo the 8 large-knobbed bolts that screw into the circular base.. it all easily goes in & out of all doors...& into a small car...& takes a max of 5 mins to set up at a dark-site

post-26081-133877647675_thumb.jpg

seen next to SW 200pds newt

post-26081-133877647598_thumb.jpg

SW 400p Flex-Tube comes in 3 boxes...15"(38cms) x 37"(94cms) x 37"(94cms).... 26"(66cms) x 25"(63cms) x 48"(122cms)....22"(56cms) x 12"(30cms) x 22"(56cms)

After unpacking...& there is a lot of packaging...it took 25 mins to set-up...with the base fully constructed..it will not go through a household door...however if you undo the 8 large-knobbed bolts that screw into the circular base.. it all easily goes in & out of all doors...& into a small car...& takes a max of 5 mins to set up at a dark-site

[ATTACH]65700[/ATTACH][ATTACH]65710[/ATTACH]

seen next to SW 200pds newt

Hi Dobby

Thanks for the info

It sure is a beast but looks too big for me to cope with , I would not get on with dismantling it each time I want to use it

Cheers

I had a 16" Lightbridge, and while it was a good scope it was a bit of a pain to move around. Fine if you can just roll it outside from a shed though.

I switched to an OO 14" dob with their best optics. As good as the 16" LB on DSOs and better on lunar/planets and hardly any heavier than a SkyWatcher 12" dob. Also fits easily through any doorway. Downside is that it cost a LOT more than the LB.

I agree with previous posts. You really need to see a 16" dob in person to realise just how big it can be. :)

John

PS

10" dob and 14" dob.

I have a 16" Lightbridge and it is a big scope. I have made a small base for it which I attached some wheels from an old trike the kids don't use anymore (they certainly don't use it anymore - LOL). Before I built that I had to lift it in two parts - first the OTA and then the base. It would go through a standard door frame on it's side (the base that is). I could handle it easy enough on my own. It has to be collimated each time it's used - but that's no big deal once you've done it a few times. The views are fantastic and worth the heavy lifting and if you are able and don't mind lugging something that big around then go for it you'll not be dissappointed at the views you'll get.

One of the key things is that the scope has to be collimated well (this might just be a lightbridge thing as I haven't used any other telescopes that big). There's a big difference between the collimation being bang on and just a little bit off so it's something worth mastering quickly, and really despite what some folks say it's not that difficult and you don't have to use a laser or any other fancy or expensive equipment.

Depending on the make of telescope you get will depend on how small the scope will collapse to for moving around. With the lightbridge you can take of the secondary mirror tube and undo the trusses and take out the mirror bucket to seperate it all from the base. The base is the most annoying thing to move around - it's not that heavy but a real difficult shape and size to move around. The assembled OTA is heavy and you have to be mindful of the top of the door frame etc when you are moving it around. I have to say I find it easy to move the scope around but then I live on a small farm and I'm used to lifting bags of feed, hay bales, fertiliser, chemicals and stock which are all usually in bags or contaiiners of 40Kg or more (the stock obviously aren't in bags) so a 20Kg base for a telescope is no big deal really (not sure if it's that heavy but it's heaps lighter than a 40kg bag of Tux dog biscuits and miles lighter than a 50kg sack of Super).:)

Thanks for the reply John

one question what is a OO 14" dob :)

Orion Optics UK OD350 dob. Each one is custom made to your requirements. I can carry the OTA in one hand (carry handle fitted of course) and the base in the other once it's outside. Mine also has a StellarCAT drive system.

John

Wow Dobby, that SW400P really is mahoosive :)! Somehow it just seems bigger than the 16" Lightbridge in Rik's pic. Probably because your pic was taken inside, I suppose. :(

No, It actually is much bigger. So if one has a look at an LB16 and gets heart palpitations at the size and weight of it, then one would have a full blown cardio vascular event after seeing a SW400P :D

I've seen I picture of one with the owner standing beside it over on Astroholics (need to register to see pic). Its Mahoosive!! :( The guy in the photo looked like a reasonably big well built guy and the top of the mirror tub was level with his waist and the top of the rockerbox was level with the top of his thigh. In contrast I am a short-**** at 5'7" and my LB16 mirror tub only comes half way up my thigh and the top of the rockerbox sides just above my knee!! :D

I think the SW400P shows the limitations of the 3 pole system when you get to the 16" apeture 1.8 metre Focal length. Due to flex they had to keep the poles short thus it has a really long lower OTA (mirror tub). Due to balance issues they couldn't put the altidude bearings lower down the LOTA. Thus the rocker box sides had to be taller instead. A bigger LOTA (mirror Tub) and really tall rockerbox makes for a very very large and heavy 16" scope.....and people thought the LB16 was bad!! :)

Here is an indoor picture taken the day my lightbridge arrived. It was a touch larger than I had estimated and Mrs B was not amused when main box arrived. I'm 5 foot 8 1/2 inches high for comparison. Yes it's heavy but it's worth it.

post-20773-1338776484_thumb.jpg

Archived