the building of the dob base!

garethmob

well my grandad said hes feeling better so the dob base is going to go ahead!

things for me to get!

wood not sure what size but prob a large peice (hopefully can do it all) at 3/4"

teflon strips

lazysusan

various bolts n stuff

alu tube (for the gemrad)

any ideas where the best places to get these from?

im roughly following the instructions on the sellafane site

I would use 3/4 birch plywood, checkout your local timber merchants. They usually sell it in 8'x4' sheets. Expect to pay £30-£40 with maybe a bit extra if your provide a cutting list.

I bought a 1' sq sheet of 1/8 thick PTFE (teflon) sheet from plastics direct.

Do an internet search for lazy susan bearings they are common.

Whats a Gemrad?

ooo thanks for the type of wood john :) i would of gotten any old thing which prob would av fallen apart

a gemrad is a digital setting circle Buy GemRed Rotary Angle Encoder with Remote Sensor from Axminster, fast delivery for the UK

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/118838-dobs-direction-finder.html

thanks for the links moonshane! :D i am looking forward to it it may take a while with my grandad but it nice to av some quailty time too!

The birch plywood is a nice finish. If you want to get fancy (any add cost :) ) any quality plywood and then some nice veneer - walnut or oak? This link is beyond what mere mortals can achieve (I saw this guys scopes at a star party last week - truly awe inspiring) but it gives you some cosmetic ideas. Normand Fullum Telescopes :: Home

What are you planning to use for the other half of the bearings? If you are planning on counter tops/arborite consider buying the end trim kits instead of a sheet saves cash. Something like Ebony Star by WilsonArt is wonderful on teflon.

Met someone who used rubber wheeled casters in a circular track in place of the lazy suzan hardware. The rubber wheels provided just enough friction to prevent accidental nudges from drifting the scope.

Just my suggestions - I am big on ideas short on cash !

ttfn

ooooo thanks for the ideas BE i do like them scopes althrough one does remind me of a old dinner table i used to have! :(

im planning on something like ebony star hard to come by these days tho :D

i'll av a look into the rubber casters too! :) thanks very much!

Archived