Narrowband

Horizon seeing stars.

spaceboy

The bits I liked best -- but I'm a massive geek -- were the panned time lapse shots of the VLT, where you could see the dome control system on all the UTs opening and closing the various wind shutters as the telescopes rotated. Controlling the airflow over the telescope to make sure the air is as laminar as possible. Very cool :)

As Pete says though, not explained in the film so I only found it interesting because I knew what it was showing.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The bits I liked best -- but I'm a massive geek -- were the panned time lapse shots of the VLT, where you could see the dome control system on all the UTs opening and closing the various wind shutters as the telescopes rotated. Controlling the airflow over the telescope to make sure the air is as laminar as possible. Very cool :)

As Pete says though, not explained in the film so I only found it interesting because I knew what it was showing.

I noticed this but hadn't a clue to what was going on and a brief explanation would have been great.

As for the James Webb Telescope.. If that gets cancelled then I think we should start one of those e-petitions calling for the cancelling of the London Olympics and diverting the £9.2bn saved into funding the shortfall. I can certainly do without a few weeks of men running around in tight lycra pants if it means advancing our understanding of the universe. :)

But what about the prestige that we will all feel when the world is watching the greatest show on earth. How could we think about not hosting the Olympics - whatever the cost?

/sarcasm mode off

Archived