Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

George!

Oh look! The ISS...

I was gazing at the Full Moon last night and was suprised that there was actually not much light pollution. I recongnised the Plough at first and started working about that, but when I turned to the Moon for one last time inside, The ISS! It defenetly was as it faded gradually but it was a quincedence. I wasn't expecting it but it was a nice suprise.

Hi George!

I saw it a couple of weeks ago for the first time. I was surprised how bright it was and it did take me a while to work out what it was!!

I have now downloaded an app on my smartphone so I know when to expect it now.

Heavens above also gives listings for your location.

Here is a sample.

Click on the date to get a ground track plot. Date Starts Max. Altitude Ends Time Alt. Az. Time Alt. Az. Time Alt. Az. 15 Aug 01:20:59 10 W 01:24:04 56 S 01:27:07 10 ESE 15 Aug 02:57:16 10 W 02:59:45 22 SSW 03:02:14 10 SSE 15 Aug 21:12:37 10 S 21:14:36 16 SE 21:16:35 10 ESE

Edit - When I posted all of the pass data was in a nice easy to read table. I hate computers.

Edited by DavidValentine

Congratulations on catching a glimpse George. The magnitude of the ISS can vary but it is an impressive sight even by eye when it is at it's brightest.

I was out last night watching for meteorites (still Persids I think!) I saw 4, but at some point I saw what I thought was a satellite but it it had a pulsing or flashing light, definitely not a plane of any kind I,ve seen before, the light pattern was completely different and if it was a plane it was too high to see even with my binos. It was to the east of Hull and travelling from south to north. I,ve looked on the Heavens Above website but I,m not really sure what time it was! About 10.30pm I think. Any ideas anyone?

Edited by skmc1955

I was out last night watching for meteorites (still Persids I think!) I saw 4, but at some point I saw what I thought was a satellite but it it had a pulsing or flashing light, definitely not a plane of any kind I,ve seen before, the light pattern was completely different and if it was a plane it was too high to see even with my binos. It was to the east of Hull and travelling from south to north. I,ve looked on the Heavens Above website but I,m not really sure what time it was! About 10.30pm I think. Any ideas anyone?

I saw something similar. Very high up and travelling in the same direction. I presumed it was a spinning satellite with a solar panel or other highly reflective surface. It certainly had a "pulse" to it rather than a flash.

Hi George

Congrats on viewing the ISS I was looking for it last month as it was due to pass over head OMG it did ,it was so bright it was like looking at a small Sun

I would have been better off if it had been 5 miles away I had seen it before and could see detail that time

Doug

Essex UK

I was gazing at the Full Moon last night and was suprised that there was actually not much light pollution. I recongnised the Plough at first and started working about that, but when I turned to the Moon for one last time inside, The ISS! It defenetly was as it faded gradually but it was a quincedence. I wasn't expecting it but it was a nice suprise.

Same thing happened to me. I was out putting the rubbish out and noticed a plane heading North down in the South Western sky. Then I thought I saw another one but after a few seconds realised it was the ISS. I've seen it lots before so am able to differentiate it from aircraft. I quickly extrapolated its track and realised it would track over the moon. Having been around the corner at the bins a few moments previously and seen the suns glow on the North Western Horizon I realised that with the full moon being 180º on the opposite side of the sky and with the ISS about to fly over the moon, that the ISS would probably pass into earths shadow near the moon. Sure enough, the ISS started to dim as it neared the moon and disappeared completely just past it.

TBH, I almost enjoy the ISS sightings were I wasn't expecting it more than the times I am paying attention to the ISS orbits and know that another 8 or 9 day window of dawn/dusk flyovers is coming up. Its like its more enjoyable when its a surprise and you feel you got lucky than when you know one is coming and set an alarm reminder on your phone.

I wonder if they are looking back!

I always wonder that when watching it pass over, and do they think the same whilst looking down :)

Was that on Sunday evening, the 14th?

I was also out looking for some late Perseids when I too spotted a pulsing light. At first I though it was a plane, but the flashing lights on aircraft are coloured, not white. It was pulsing at about 1 second intervals, and I timed it passing just below the head of Aquila at 21:49, it then passed through Pegasus, then just above Andromeda. On a gut instinct I checked Nanosail-D passes, and my observation matched the predicted timing and track perfectly! Calsky gave the predicted magnitude to be -2.2, but in my opinion it was much brighter (at least from my position, and at the brightest part of the pulse was almost as bright as the ISS.

So amazing about everybody's story's! I also wonder if they look down at us too. :)

Edited by George!

Was that on Sunday evening, the 14th?

I was also out looking for some late Perseids when I too spotted a pulsing light. At first I though it was a plane, but the flashing lights on aircraft are coloured, not white. It was pulsing at about 1 second intervals, and I timed it passing just below the head of Aquila at 21:49, it then passed through Pegasus, then just above Andromeda. On a gut instinct I checked Nanosail-D passes, and my observation matched the predicted timing and track perfectly! Calsky gave the predicted magnitude to be -2.2, but in my opinion it was much brighter (at least from my position, and at the brightest part of the pulse was almost as bright as the ISS.

Yes, Sunday evening, though to be honest I,m not sure about the time or exact position, only that it was just out of the light pollution from the Moon and heading South to North. The 1 second pulsing white light sounds right too. From my meagre research it sounds like I,ve been lucky to spot this thing! Thanks for that Tantalus!