SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from North Wales

Ben Davy

Hi everyone, found this forum by searching for telescopes on the interweb, so thought that I would join up to meet similar interested people and get valuable advice.

I am looking for a decent telescope to get great views of the planets, especially the moon, fasincated by the moon, but I am a keen photographer, so would like to combine the two and have a telescope that I can attach my Nikon dslr to, to take some nice shots.

Any help greatly appreciated. I am looking at spending up to £300.

Thanks,

Ben

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am looking for a decent telescope to get great views of the planets, especially the moon, fasincated by the moon, but I am a keen photographer...
Welcome! Since you are daylight "photo-capable" and interested in the moon and planets

- For Basic imaging(?), consider something like:

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak

Or the slightly smaller MAK102 - Allowing for a heavier SLR, cost of thread adaptors etc. :smiley:

Hi and welcome Ben. Don't overlook the used market... you might be able to make your budget go a little further and get a few of those oh-so-necessary accessories thrown in.

For example, I watched a 6" Orion Optics F5 Europa on and eq mount with Nikon dslr adapter, collimation tool, 3 eyepieces and an x2 barlow make less than £145.00.

Good luck with the choosing!

Jenna

Wow, what a welcome, thanks everyone. I am in Llandudno. Thanks for the advice so far. Yeah the 2nd hand market did cross my mind, and as people that buy this sort of equipment, and due to cost its usually looked after very well, so it is worth considering.

I am usually self taught with everything I learn, like photography etc, was quite a big mine field when I started looking in to this, but the same kind of name/make telescopes keep coming up, so they do look like the direction to look in (pun not intended).

I will keep reading, and asking the questions that get asked all the time, and let you know where I am up to with it all.

Thanks again guys.

Ben

Hi, Ben, and welcome to the forum - all human knowledge (well, astro anyway) is here, so ask away :D

If it's the moon and planets you are interested in, you could do a lot worse than go with Macavity's suggestions. But beware, 'cos attaching a camera to a scope tends to start small, but can easily turn into a spectacularly expensive pursuit!

Still, you should be OK in Llandudno, as the clouds seem to leave you alone, and stick like glue over me here in the mountains :)

Thanks again everyone.

Yeah I notice the weather is different over in Llanberis, we come over on the motorbikes that way and the weather can be totally different to what we left in Llandudno. Yeah, I find that anything I get in to ends up costing a lot of money, nothings cheap to get in to anymore. Prefer to do things like this, than spend it on beer.

Archived