Narrowband

Possible clear skies for most in the UK tonight

Rob

I've got my fingers crossed in the southwest for some decent sky. What to look at? With a full moon, it looks like doubles, the moon itself, maybe some of the brighter globular clusters.

I've got a new focuser to check out!

Ed

post-13891-133877646326_thumb.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got my fingers crossed in the southwest for some decent sky. What to look at? With a full moon, it looks like doubles, the moon itself, maybe some of the brighter globular clusters.

Ed

Nice focuser :)

There's always open clusters, if you've got a nice widefield refractor to look at them with (*hint hint* ST120 *hint hint*). :evil6:

For example; M11 (Wild Duck Cluster), M6 (Butterfly Cluster), M7, M20/21, M23/25.

That's what I'm going to be looking at tonight. Hopefully :smiley:

Clear Skies

Luke

Yeah! The ST120 was going to get an airing, but I am just itching to try this focuser. Now that the night's are closing in - bad in one way! - I hope to get a lot more astro. time in. The ST120 will be out again soon.

The sky is looking clearer by the minute down here, and SAT24 is showing a clear sky coming in from the WNW.

Looking promising. Just a pity it's a Sunday.....

I wonder if it is clear because it is Sunday.. and you don't get the postie bringing new astro gear on a Sunday?

In fact.. the last clear night I had was also a Sunday. This trend better not continue or I shall start grumbling at the universe's sense of irony. :smiley:

Ed

if you have a new focuser then it a early night for us all

Well i just got back from Body Boarding at Broadhaven in West Wales and it's been sunny and cloud free since 14:00 and still is, so i will be out tonight moon or no moon! not used my new EQ5 & 200P yet and these skies down here are sooooooooo dark, no street lights till you reach Ireland!

For example; M11 (Wild Duck Cluster), M6 (Butterfly Cluster), M7, M20/21, M23/25.

That's what I'm going to be looking at tonight. Hopefully :smiley:

Those are quite low on the horizon and relatively close to the moon. I'll be interested to know if you can actually make them out.

James

I would really like to do some observing of the objects low down in Sagittarius and the dwarf planet Vesta which is currently low down in Capricornus and only visible from the front garden of my house, it happens to only rise high enough to be seen in a gap between two houses to my south.

Unfortunately there are three omni-directional street lights to contend with which will make observing very tricky indeed, I think I'll have to cover my head to get any dark adaptation at all.

post-17251-13387764637_thumb.jpg

post-17251-133877646378_thumb.jpg

My scope has been out for about 3 months now so I think it is sufficiently temperature acclimated (don't worry, I keep it under a Telegizmo cover when not using it) ... cover is off and I am hoping the breaks in clouds means that it will indeed clear. Fingers crossed!

Archived