SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Possible clear skies for most in the UK tonight

Rob

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Near full moon and LP will make most DSO's a total washout :smiley: Not like it would be any fun looking at the moon either.

I would be interested to what people recommend to look at under these conditions as I don't usually bother and catch up on my sleep.

I've been waiting patiently for about 3 weeks now to try and drift align using the PHD method. Tonight looks like I'm going to get to do it, full moon or not.

---

- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm putting my 200p back on the mount I think..then again maybe not but I'm going for full narrow band of the Pacman neb so hopefully the moon won't be to much of a problem.

I do find that there seems to be more clear nights on a full moon! or is it just me? Or the fact that we are more aware of when clear nights appear when there's a full moon?

Matt.

I managed to get my mount aligned in RA a few nights ago, but will finish drift aligning properly tonight and get DEC sorted.

The I have a bit of messing around with focal reducer spacing to do, and, if it really is going to be clear all night like the forecast says, I'll be using the 80mm TMB to grab some more veil nebula data.

Good luck to you all :smiley:

Rob

If the forecast turns out to be right I will do my best to get out with the 'scope in spite of the moonlight.

I bet a few Perseids will shine through, I may even get the UFOCapture up and running with the webcam to see if I can spot anything, it is very noisy at high ISO so I am not holding my breath. I am only dabbling so I don't feel the need to stump up for an expensive low-light, low noise cam just yet.

Jupiter is definitely on the cards tonight, no imaging though as I have decided to leave that until the day I have a tracking mount for the dob tube. I guess collimation should be carried out beforehand as well, I haven't checked or adjusted it for months now as I have had so little use out of it over the lighter months.

I will take Rob's suggestions for targets, there is always something to be observed even with annoying moonlight in the way :smiley:

Great stuff... New equipment for some, imaging for others. And a good few targets for observing. We must all make the effort even on a full moon evening!!.. it keeps the fire burning away. Dont for get sometimes its the least expectation nights that can surprise you the most. I've enjoyed some corkers in this way.

Rob

AT LONG LAST!!!!! I get to give my 200pds some first light. its only been in the cupboard under the stairs crying at me since I got it..........Can't wait now hurry up night time!

And first time on jupiter too!!!!!!!!!!

Well that's good, the dob is still in perfect collimation even after coming back from SGL6 in Kev's car! This is according to the sight tube/cheshire eyepiece where all is lined up in regards to the centre spot on the primary.

One less job to do today :smiley:

just been do in the same sat24 is the one for later tonight,but all the others are say in the same i shall put the scopes out about 10 ish and cross every thing.some great stuff about at the min but i fear the bight moon will kill every thing

cheers pat

Archived