Narrowband

PST/Vixen mod reassurance

JonH

Hi Folks,

I just need a little reassurance before shortening my scope -

After searching through various PST mod posts across the net, I was expecting to remove approximately 85mm from my Vixen for a Stage 2 mod. However, after checking the point of focus as per the instructions in Ken's (Merlin66) excellent write-up, it appears to be 65mm that needs to be lopped off. A little unsettling as this is quite a big difference.

Of course, it's much better to initially take off too little than too much, but I've managed to find someone with a machine shop to do the cutting and possibly rethreading the tube to reattach the focuser, so I really don't want to bother them by asking for a second cut.

Feedback from any PST/Vixen modders out there would be much appreciated. :smiley:

Cheers,

Jon

I didn't cut mine Jon, but if its any help the length from the front of the lens housing (the black bit when the dewshield is removed) to the ridge on the etalon before the rubber is 725mm.

I would have thought that if you are putting the focuser back in then you'd be better off taking off too much than too little, as you can rack the focuser out to compensate.

Helen

Archived