Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

boothebirdy

First time saturn with 15 x 70

All I can say is amazing definately worth the wait, could make out the rings but for me it was just knowing what that little dot in the sky was. ;) Shame it was there and gone all too quickly, fingers crossed the sky stays clear, could be a really good night for stargazing!

Great those 15x70's aren't they. Just wait until you see Jupiter with them. You should make it out as a small disc with the 4 main jovian moons like fireflies along side it.

I was very suprised by how striking the disc appearance was when I first saw Jupiter through 15x70s. A nice one with Saturn is to try and identify Titan (or perhaps even other moons).

I've used 15x70 bins for years and never seen any other moons around Saturn apart from Titan.

Hunt down Uranus and Neptune. Easily observed in these bins. Another is the phases of Venus. Easy in daylight. Once the sun is hidden behind houses or similar of course, so you donot sweep onto it.

Agree with the others. I enjoy the views through my 15x70's immensely and they often see use when there are clouds on the horizon and setting up scope just isn't worth it. M42, M44 and M45 are truly great binocular targets.

SPACEBOY

Saw Jupiter the other night, was really bright through the bins. Unfortunately I've had to send my bins back to Rother Valley Optics as they out of collimation (thought it was a bit strange everything I saw was in double :smiley:) just waiting to get my replacement pair now. I'm itching to get a scope but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing with bins first

I've used 15x70 bins for years and never seen any other moons around Saturn apart from Titan.

Hunt down Uranus and Neptune. Easily observed in these bins. Another is the phases of Venus. Easy in daylight. Once the sun is hidden behind houses or similar of course, so you donot sweep onto it.

A quick internet search would reveal that Titan is in fact the only moon visible through bins. Seem to have somehow convinced myself otherwise. Apoligies. :smiley:

15x70 bins are just great. I am enjoying them so much (despite competition in wide-field use from my 80mm) that I am considering upgrading to a better pair (APM 15x70, also sold by TS and as Orion Resolux). In particular, I have issues with any centre focussing bin I have used.

It is very re-assuring to know 15x70 Binoculars, are an excellent choice, and very well suited to observational astronomy.

I bought some Revelation 15x70's on Sunday. Unfortunately, when they arrived on Tuesday, they were damaged beyond belief.

The collimation was that bad you couldn't bring, the two image's together, to merge as one.

I spoke with the supplier yesterday, (I won't say who it is) And they are shipping me a new pair.

These should have, arrived today (guaranteed) but didn't.

I am hoping tomorrow, they will arrive. This time in full working order.

I want to use these for general sky watching, when I don't feel like setting UP the big equipment.

But also. For making Variable Star estimates. And for local weekly dark sky trips.

I am really looking forward to going back to basic's and using these on my tripod.

When I get them that is :)

Edited by PaulB

It's amazing how much better my viewing is with a proper collimated pair of binos, I was getting rather frustrated with my first pair as I kept having to squint! I was able to see the moons of Jupiter very clearly with my first pair I couldn't see them at all :)