build a double sided screw........

garethmob

i was wondering if some one could help me

i have a tripod head i want to attach to a dovetail bar the only problem is the screw sizes

the tripod screw is a lot bigger than the dovetail bar i was wondering if it would be possiable if some one could point me in the direction of where a double sided screw with 2 differnt sizes on it would be

id like one side to be either the bottem of the camera size or the size of the screws that tube rings usally use

the other size the larger size for the tripod

is this possiable

gaz

I'd say your best bet would be head to a local engineer with the items you need the threads to fit. The camera (tripod) thread is usually 1/4 20, which means it's 1/4" in diameter (to top of threads) and 20 teeth per inch (check it though) and the other size I can't say I know.

I don't think a local engineering shop would charge too much to get one made.

Here's a thought, old camera cases (many I have do) usually have the camera mount thread (case attaches to camera via it) and a female the same thread on the other side. Perhaps you could get the female side tapped out to the correct thread and simply fit a straight stud?

You need something like this to go into the tripod head...

Brass 1/4" to 3/8" Tripod / Monopod Camera Adapter x 2 | eBay

Peter...

Argghhhh, that tiny piece of metal would have saved me a LOT of work when I attached a big B&S head to a dovetail bar.... Instead I had to shorten a 3/8" BSW socket head bolt on both sides with a Dremel... ;)

Archived