SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A 42" DOB

Daniel-K

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blimey, I can only imagine what one could observe visually with that beast - do you think that you could observe lots of structure in something like M101? I`ve never had the chance to look through anything bigger than my 8" newt - must get myself along to a star party and try out some big Dobs.

Blimey, I can only imagine what one could observe visually with that beast - do you think that you could observe lots of structure in something like M101?...

I observed M51 and M13 through the 20" I mentioned above. They both looked like the photographs do - the spiral structure of M51 and it's link the the satellite galaxy were fully resolved with direct vision - the galaxy more or less filled the field of view.

Pretty stunning but it did make the views through my 10" newtonian seem a little "Puny" for a while ;)

We were looking at that site at work a while back. My favourite photo is this one:

1070_SolarObs.jpg

I can understand needing 42" of aperture to observe something as faint as the Sun.

We did wonder what would happen if a bird flew into that solar film. Presumably there would be two holes in the back of Dr Erhard's head with light coming out of them.

for a truss, I agree. I can vouch though that a 16" solid tube f4 takes some manhandling and I use a sack truck to save my back.

bigger than an 18" and it's banished to outside storage, I feel as it won't get through most doorways.

This is my inspiration at the moment. I need something to pack away small, but I would like to try a bigger aperture. This guy has built at 12", 18" and 20" in the same design.

A homemade 12 inch dob lightweight telescope, DS-3

I think I could adapt this for a 10". At least I wouldn't need to tow it behind a car, or need a step ladder to look through the eyepiece!

post-13891-133877643655_thumb.jpg

I was thinking the same as twotter. What does he do when the eyepiece gets too far away, which must happen quite quickly (~5min?)

From the looks of it, he has to climb down the ladder, move it a couple of inches, climb back up, take a look and then do the same thing all over again... ;)

Not something i'd like to do during a 2h observation.

I've saw M51 with the super nova through a 32" at a dark, high altitude, site. That was pretty special. That 32" was pretty damn big, to be honest. 42" is just insane! Here's food for thought: a 42" gathers 76% more light than a 32". That's like going from an 8" to a 10.5".

I wouldn't have the balls to observe the sun through that thing. With a filter that size, there's too much chance of a **** up. Remember that the image is no brighter in a larger scope. So if the exit pupils are the same, the consequences of a filter coming off that 42" would be identical to a filter coming off a 6": holes blasted out of back of head in both cases.

We were looking at that site at work a while back. My favourite photo is this one:

1070_SolarObs.jpg

I can understand needing 42" of aperture to observe something as faint as the Sun.

We did wonder what would happen if a bird flew into that solar film. Presumably there would be two holes in the back of Dr Erhard's head with light coming out of them.

I have just sprayed coffee all over my keyboard, thanks. That is way too funny ;)

Archived