Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron NexStar 4SE

Hi all

Anyone out there using a Celestron NexStar 4SE? If so, how are you getting on with it and what have you been able to view with it? Am thinking of buying one as my first scope, but wanted some feedback/advice from people actually using it rather than the sales and marketing pitch ; )

Cheers

Baz

Hi Mate,

In few words, since I bought mine I have learned a lot. In my opinion it is a great first telescope. Great views! A perfect match for a good Binoculars.

I have used it in a light polluted area, Manchester, and in dark skies areas like Wales, Brazil and Spain.

On light polluted areas I have been able to split many double stars, and spot Messier, Cadwell and NGC objects. It has a good data base for Go To, quite useful in those areas.

On dark skies this small telescope is great. Very good views of open and globular clusters. Omega Centaurus it is my recommended target together with Eta Carinae, Swan nebula, ring nebula, Albieiro, M42 etc. It is a perfect transition from binoculars to big telescopes, DSO objets.

It is definitely not a top visual DSO telescope. You cannot get structures in galaxies for example, although you can get a flavour of size and shapes. The reason for that is more the limited aperture rather than the telescope's quality.

My telescope came very well collimated and it is virtually maintenance free.

Remember to buy a nice eyepiece. The standard e-lux is okish, but a good quality eyepiece completes the set nicely.

It is also join a group of viewers to have different flavours of all equipment available.

Good views!

Scosmico

Hi all

Anyone out there using a Celestron NexStar 4SE? If so, how are you getting on with it and what have you been able to view with it? Am thinking of buying one as my first scope, but wanted some feedback/advice from people actually using it rather than the sales and marketing pitch ; )

Cheers

Baz

On dark skies this small telescope is great. Very good views of open and globular clusters. Omega Centaurus it is my recommended target together with Eta Carinae, .

Unless Baz is in Bournemouth Australia he might struggle with these two.;)

Regards Steve

He can go there. The south hemisphere is stargazing haven!

Not saying for a minute that he can't. It's just a bit unusual to recommend objects to observe that he cannot possibly see from his home or anywhere else in Britain.

Regards Steve

Just to illustrate that the 4SE is very portable, fits in your hand luggage.

Not saying for a minute that he can't. It's just a bit unusual to recommend objects to observe that he cannot possibly see from his home or anywhere else in Britain.

Regards Steve

• 7 months later...

i have used the nextstar 4se for a year now

and here is my thoughts

for observing

moon - brilliant

Jupiter- i was impressed

Saturn - small but impressed still

mars - ****

Venus ****

Orion nebula disappointing

Andromeda disappointing

Pleiades impressed

iss and satellites its ok

Based on you report, I think you are observing from a light polluted area.

From near Penrith, I had great views of Orion and Andromeda. Orion in particular, I was able to see structures.

i have used the nextstar 4se for a year now

and here is my thoughts

for observing

moon - brilliant

Jupiter- i was impressed

Saturn - small but impressed still

mars - ****

Venus ****

Orion nebula disappointing

Andromeda disappointing

Pleiades impressed

iss and satellites its ok