SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M16 The Eagle Nebula

Zodiacal_Light

I've taken this image of M16 last weekend, but only managed to start processing it today. I made two versions of the image, one processed using photoshop and the other pixinsight.

For the photoshop version I only used levels, curves, auto color balance, saturation and some unsharp masking.

The pixinsight version went through DBE, color calibration, histogram stretch, noise reduction, curves and unsharp masking.

I'm not sure which I prefer the most, photoshopped or pixinsighted. Pixinsight is definitely more powerful, but the color seems better in photoshop.

Image acquisition details:

Mount: EQ6 Syntrek

Telescope: Orion XT10i

Camera: Canon 550D

Guiding: None

Software: DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop (Version 1), PixInsight (Version 2)

Comments and critiques welcome

http://stargazerslounge.com/members/zodiacal_light-albums-nebula-picture12674-m16-eaglenebula-ps-20110730.jpg

http://stargazerslounge.com/members/zodiacal_light-albums-nebula-picture12673-m16-eaglenebula-pi-20110730.jpg

If you use the little mountain and sun icon you can surely copy the images to the forum? FLickr, for me at least, is grindingly slow to open images sometimes.

The colour is far more accurate in the PI version. The Ps is very magenta, something you could correct using curves to adjust each channel. The star colour really shows the PI colour advantage. I suspect that you could boost the saturation, too.

Anyway, the images are great, nicely framed and resolved. Good stuff.

Olly

• 2 months later...
I've taken this image of M16 last weekend, but only managed to start processing it today. I made two versions of the image, one processed using photoshop and the other pixinsight.

For the photoshop version I only used levels, curves, auto color balance, saturation and some unsharp masking.

The pixinsight version went through DBE, color calibration, histogram stretch, noise reduction, curves and unsharp masking.

I'm not sure which I prefer the most, photoshopped or pixinsighted. Pixinsight is definitely more powerful, but the color seems better in photoshop.

Image acquisition details:

Mount: EQ6 Syntrek

Telescope: Orion XT10i

Camera: Canon 550D

Guiding: None

Software: DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop (Version 1), PixInsight (Version 2)

Comments and critiques welcome

http://stargazerslounge.com/members/zodiacal_light-albums-nebula-picture12674-m16-eaglenebula-ps-20110730.jpg

http://stargazerslounge.com/members/zodiacal_light-albums-nebula-picture12673-m16-eaglenebula-pi-20110730.jpg

I can only applaud the beauty captured in the image, phenomenal take, well done.

I was hoping I'd prefer the PS version as that's what I have... but I have to say that, to my preference, the PI version is more natural, and certainly appears to have more intense star colour. As Olly noted though, it's possible the PS version could be tweaked a bit more - To my personal eye it looks a bit "harsh" compared to the PI version (but that's probably only justy me!). Even so, I'd be very happy to be able to catch M16 as well as these, especially considering this is only just over 1 hour of subs! Thanks very much for sharing... (maybe next summer I'll be able to get to M16!)

I prefer the second version, the stars have a good colour, and the red nebula looks more natural. I think the stars are clipped in the 1st version. As Ollly said you can correct the colour cast with curves or colour balance.

Nice pic by the way.

Tom

Archived