Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSS wrecking my images!

I'm new to imaging, however i like to think i have a rough idea what's going on, so this is bugging me.

I'm trying to process some images in DSS, but whenever i include my bias frames in the procedure my image comes out with virtually all detail missing and only the brightest stars showing.

My 20 bias frames were of course taken with the camera covered and on the shortest possible exposure, giving an average ADU of ~ 1000. my light frames have between 2500 and 50,000

The most frustrating aspect is that when i do the calibration in the software bundled with the camera it works just fine, but i'd much rather do everything in dss as that software is a little feature sparse.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on the issue!

a pic of this would be nice are you then use in the rgb/saturation levels, and lume ,a take

it you are ,i staked 90subs the other day all 45secs long stacjed in dss and the pic was dark no detail ,this did not bother me at all,after a little play the image soon came to life,so did you try move in the rgb and all the others in dss? if so and it was still dark then i would have a look at other areas

I played with the all the level bars, and compared it to a stack which did not include bias frames (which was fine). In the biased image, all but the brightest stars in the image were simply gone.

I'll upload an image next time i use the laptop

Have you actually looked at the autosave.tif file that DSS generates?

I have noticed quite often that the displayed final result in DSS, doesn't look anything like the autsave file when opened in PS.

Got to be worth a quick check!

Ant

Have you actually looked at the autosave.tif file that DSS generates?

I have noticed quite often that the displayed final result in DSS, doesn't look anything like the autsave file when opened in PS.

Got to be worth a quick check!

Ant

Good idea Ant.

If it's not that, what is your calibration workflow?

Are you subtracting darks, flats, bias and flat darks?

Rob.

DSS will apply a stretch to the data and will often throw up a final image that is not viewable. As mentioned before you can save the image with no adjustments and then you can open it in Photoshop or other programs and adjust levels and curves to make the image viewable. You can do this in DSS by making sure the RGB Histograms are lined up and that they are just on the transition of the curve. You can also experiment with the different curve functions.

Regards

Kevin

Archived