SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Nice Moon in 5 minutes!

mag10

I recently put together a gem of a little set-up:

A 102mm SkyWatcher refractor (500mm OTA) on a little EQ3-2 mount (motorized 2 axes).

Whenever I observe I need to go out on a shared balcony, so I don't leave my stuff outside. I leave the OTA permanently attached to the mount and I can easily hand carry everything together outside in a jiffy. Plus, I've found the EQ3-2 very forgiving when it comes to aligning: I can't see Polaris from where I am. I have a general idea of where North is, and with a few quick tweaks, that seems to be enough for this gem of a little mount (I really love it!).

I can attach an Orion SSPIAG in no time, and I'm all set for AP.

(But this set-up is really not beefy enough for a DSLR).

Tuesday evening I was surprised by the setting Moon between two cloud banks. I really had very little time to do anything, but I rushed inside and in 5 minutes was capturing the 3 photos needed to make the mosaic below.

I'd say that's pretty good for a 5min. set-up! (Including SSPIAG and laptop!).

post-27113-13387764268_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much, friends.

I forgot the details:

Mosaic of 3 SSPIAG pictures of 500 frames each;

Registax 5;

PhotoShop 7 (only used to stitch the mosaic together and framing. No other processing).

Thanks John.

As the moon was setting and really low, that colour is all natural (well, as "natural" as the camera recorded it).

I am prone to colour enhancement on PhotoShop, but not this time. I didn't see the need for it.

As for the framing, many people have commented favorably on it.

I just remembered my lessons in "regular" photography:

Outside of formal portraits, one should try as much as possible never to center the subject.

Off-center subjects generally seem more interesting and dynamic.

I'm not sure that's always true, or possible, for astrophotography, but in this case it seems to have worked.

Archived