Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

(very) widefield NGC 7000 SXVH9+ my dad's camera lens

Tim

Thanks to lots of help with spacing and technical stuff from Psychobilly I was finally able to put an old Pentacon 50mm lens on my Starlight Xpress H9 camera. In the adapter I made a makeshift filter holder from an old filter and some foam out of a camera case, and screwed my 1.25" 7nm Ha filter into it.

Set the lens to f4, quick focus, and managed to grab 9x600s before the clouds set in last night. The SXV camera was piggybacked onto another scope, images from which I shall post in due course.

This is very simple and rudimentary, no darks or flats, just a quick stretch in Pixinsight.

Thanks for looking ;)

Tim

post-14037-133877642251_thumb.jpg

I have exactly the same setup Tim, I have been waiting for a clear night to use it but it is fantastic to see what you've done ;)

That's nice mate - do you have plans for meteor capturing during the perseids...?

Cheers

Ant

Hadn't thought about that Ant, but certainly could. I have another shorter lens to try that gives an even bigger fov actually, but this one is the better of the two. (Both would cost next to nothing ;) )

The H9 comes with what I first thought was a 2" adapter - but it wasn't... on a closer look it is a spacer with a C mount thread.

I bought a cheapy camera lens and have yet to try it out in anger.

Cheers

Ant

Excellent image.

It makes you wonder why people get rid of old manual lenses. I'm sure that a lot more care and precision went into making them than some of the more modern AF ones that ship with new DSLRs.

It also goes to show that a set of fine optics will easily out-perform any digital sensor you care to put behind it. And you're right.. a quick check on eBay and they are practically giving them away.

Any chance of a pic of the lens and mounting itself to show how you connected it to the SXV?

I'll try and post one when I get back, going camping for a couple of days to try out our new tent before the Kelling SP.

In the case I got with the 2nd hand SXV there is an adaptor that goes from Thread to M42 screw thread. The lens just screws right on to that. I dont know if it is a standard accessory though?

Cheers

Tim

Archived