Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

mcro89

Stacking and producing photos. Any good tutorials?

Hey,

I have heard a lot out astrophotography and the main thing people say under there image is how they made the image. For me i don't understand it so would like some help.

I would like to know the very basics of stacking etc. is there and tutorials on that? if not would someone please create one.

The main things i want to know is:

People say 20x5min subs What does this exactly mean and why do you produce photos in this way?

What do programs like registax etc actually do?

And any other useful basics.

Thanks in advance

Matt

ok mate if ya want a can give you a call on the telephone pm me you number if you want

20x5min subs

20 = how many pictures taken

x5mins is how long each picture was taken the shutter was open for that amount of time ie 5 mins

what regisatxs does its split the video in to still frames

so if you shoot 30 secs of video, at 10 frames per second

you will have 300 frames

with registax will lay each one,or most of them one on top of the other,to make a single picture,out of the 300 frames makes a better picture more definition ect

this guys youtube channel is ok and may answer a few of you questions failing that pm me ya number and a will give ya a ring if you wish cheers

pat

clear skies always

I'd start with a book like Steve Richards' Making Every Photon Count. It is well regarded and if you 'don't get' some bit of it then the ever helpful Steve (Steppenwolf on here) will jump to the rescue.

Briefly, astrophotos are made with very little light so they are all about getting the best signal to noise that's possible. Photograph a Ferrari in blazing Mediterranean sunlight and the signal will drown the camera noise in a thousandth of a second. To drown the camera noise in a deep sky image you may need 24 hours of exposure. And you'll need to cool the camera to -20 deg C...etc etc etc. You can't image for 24 hours in one go so you take sub exposures and combine them.

Olly

ollypenrice's Photos

Edited by ollypenrice