SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The AA 115 Triplet APO Preview

Deneb

Hi

Yes ! I have bought one !, as I have grown to like my little WOGT81 Triplet, ive decided to invest in another one... and this ones really butchy in appearence & weight... Here's some pics :rolleyes:

Two Boxes arrived, one containing the OTA & the other containing the Flattener, Finder Rings & Bracket also the 10x60 illuminated retical finderscope.

P1010270.jpg

P1010271.jpg

P1010272.jpg

P1010273.jpg

The OTA itself snuggly in it's case

P1010274.jpg

& finally something which shocked me initially, I ended up firing an email off to Nick @ AA & got a confirmation by PM from Olly, that is was a norm with the "Spatter" style finish on the OTA.

P1010281.jpg

There's more pics to come, but I'll let you digest these first ;)

Nadeem.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooh! I can hardly WAIT to see what this produces, and it's looking very nice in the box... Looking at what Olly's is producing, you're going to have great fun and satisfaction with this.

I'm having 2nd (3rd) thoughts now about not selling the MN190 and Equinox 80 (and my soul) a few weeks ago... ;).

Here's some more pics: The focuser with my muggy fingerprints

P1010282.jpg

P1010283.jpg

P1010284.jpg

P1010285.jpg

P1010287.jpg

The Flattener which comes included

P1010292.jpg

The 60mm Finderscope rings, makes a change from those spring loaded finder brackets.

P1010293.jpg

The finder which also accepts a 1.25" fitting, something quite useful maybe it can be adapted for a guide camera to be fitted, instead of the focusing being on the end of the objective lens side, you twist the eyepiece holder to achieve focus, Oh BTW - you can rotate the right angle focuser as well...

P1010294.jpg

The finderscope fitted with the illuminated retical, now the twist on/off switch does look a bit cheaply manufactured but does work okay.

P1010295.jpg

That's the same speckle finish as on the one I'm using.

To be perfectly honest it's fun doing reviews but with this one I did have a little voice in the back of my head thinking, 'Darn it, when I'm using this I'm not using the TEC.' Well, I'm still imaging with it and the little voice has gone quiet. When you consider that a TEC with flattener is running somewhere around 7000 dollars you may think Nadeem has a bargain there.

Olly

Congrats on the new scope - you just can't beat getting nice big boxes through the post.

Just one quick question - you mentioned the focuser has 2 rotatable sections. What is the purpose for having the second rotatable section?

If you find the mounting of the scope interferes with the orientation of the focuser, eg. you have a longer dovetail underneath which prevents the focuser from freely moving all the way around (which I have found with WO DDG Focusers), the end section can rotate freely with a diagonal or a camera without worrying the dovetail will get in the way.

Its quite a welcome move tell you the truth.

Nadeem.

Very VERY nice indeed, its going to look very nice indeed with that GT-81 piggybacked on top.. Shame your mounts black :rolleyes:

Kunming United Optics really are turning out some superb scopes.. and binoculars..

I'm hanging out for the Skywatcher Petzval 100 f/5 ... cheap alloy tube version in white please mr skywatcher.. ;)

Don't hold your breath guy, not with the recent screw up from synta's tube ring division ;)

The rings could be down to one person at the factory and wrong parts bin on one day ... cant flame the brand based on a post or two.. how many hundreds are perfect?

The wonderful thing Skywatcher have done is bring high quality low prices to the masses.. its pressured all the other factories to sharpen their pencils..Long may they keep the pressure up.. :rolleyes:

No one is flaming the brand - not at least me, since i've had a few skywatchers or two in my time, but the fact of the matter is On this occassion they have screwed up (and it's not a small one) ;):rolleyes::hello2: and any dealer is not responsible for it - I say that before someone decides to pounce on me. But synta being big I doubt it will effect their sales or at all, was not the patzval 100ED mean't to be released sometime this summer ? ...

It will be interesting what it's mark up will be. I think skywatcher maybe are trying to pitch the ota at the higher end market, I certainly don't think it's going to be cheap... Time will tell, Time will tell...

Iz it because eyez Mount Iz Black ? :rolleyes:

I like it - It's got some funky orange bit's as well you know, personally I think it's a lot butchy then the EQ6 Pro & the goto is fabulous :hello2:.

No one is flaming the brand - not at least me, since i've had a few skywatchers or two in my time, but the fact of the matter is On this occassion they have screwed up (and it's not a small one) ;):rolleyes::o and any dealer is not responsible for it - I say that before someone decides to pounce on me. But synta being big I doubt it will effect their sales or at all, was not the patzval 100ED mean't to be released sometime this summer ? ...

It will be interesting what it's mark up will be. I think skywatcher maybe are trying to pitch the ota at the higher end market, I certainly don't think it's going to be cheap... Time will tell, Time will tell...

Iz it because eyez Mount Iz Black ? :hello2:

I like it - It's got some funky orange bit's as well you know, personally I think it's a lot butchy then the EQ6 Pro & the goto is fabulous :p.

whoah..... I'm not suggesting you are flaming Skywatcher personally, verbal conversations with you in the past you have had nothing but high regard for your ED80 & 120... I posted late last night and was fluffy headed due to half a bottle of Penfolds SP-R :hello2:

Yes the mount is black 'init' - scopes white/black/pink, total fashion disaster :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived