Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Long Iris in the 115 apo.

ollypenrice

Rob, I know what you're saying. I have pulled down the core a couple of times and had to decide when to let it be bright. But I'll have another look, you are right. But when you try to get some modelling in the dust you start to run out of dynamic range. Excuses excuses!

Andy, you'd just like one of these scopes? You don't want my urbane wit, skill, daring, sex appeal or charm? Curses. Can't interest you in taking away my beer belly either? Damn!

If I didn't have a TEC140 the 115 would not be going back. I would certainly keep it.

Olly

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Olly - Imaging skills I'll definitely give you, but I couldn't possibly comment on your "urbane wit, daring, sex appeal or charm". (Well, not for free anyway, otherwise people might begin to talk! ;))

THOUGHT: Isn't it a shame you can't sell beer bellies (ie lovingly cultivated with the best real ales, vintage wines, food etc...?). And I wonder what the going rate would be for one... and would it be sold by weight, volume, girth or cost of development? It may not sell for as much as a kidney but I'd be very willing to volunteer to cultivate one... :rolleyes:

(Although I know I'd be handicapped in many areas, I still aspire to owning one of these - At the price, and (in my opinion) compared with the WO 110 Triplet, this looks to be a REAL winner... If only I could find some stuff to sell (dog? daughter? wife? :hello2:), I'd have one of these like a shot!)

Lovely, lovely, lovely again!

This is so wonderul!

For LUM - I suggest you do no additional runs.

I posted on the other Iris nebula a technique to enhance dust color there, and here I'd use it on the existing LUM, with a hefty blur.

Great image again. Enjoyed it very much - and thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Harel ;)

My word.. that is stunning. ;)

I'm particularly fond of that cute little star at about 5'o'clock in the nebula that is lighting up the surrounding dust cloud.

I've noticed that perhaps one camera drifted a few more pixels than the other during the session. You can see this on the left and right sides where the dust clouds seem to stop in a line. A crop or maybe a black border instead?

And didn't you just post a tutorial on how to tone down star-halos? Just a smidge on the yellow star top-right I reckon.

Sorry to be picky but you're already at 99.9% perfection with this one.. Might as well max out. :rolleyes:

Please be as picky as you like! It all helps. The edges are just a careless crop on my part. I didn't cut out all the slight stacking errors on the web version. Sorry.

The halo could be pulled down more, I agree. I left a bit in there to create the dusty impression but it could indeed come down.

Olly

Simple superb image Olly with beautiful detail and clarity.

Nice stars around as well, loving the deep and light shades of the reflection nebula here.

Cracking scope that and in the right hands by the looks of it.

I used the Altair Astro 115 on iOptron IEQ45 and both colour and mono Atik 4000s, 6 hours in each.

And to think this is a mount that some have said was nothing but trash. Obviously it can be used with AMAZING results! Well done

And to think this is a mount that some have said was nothing but trash. Obviously it can be used with AMAZING results! Well done

The mount will be reviewed in the October edition of Asrtronomy Now. It is a bit different in its design from other mounts in places but I'm still using it after finishing the review so that says something...

Olly

Wonderful Iris Olly!! How long did those 12 hours take in the form of nights (i.e. how long in days/weeks?) ... definitely haven't seen many clear nights here in over a month

Thanks Anna. The shooting involved two nights last dark time and two nights this. Three hours a night plus induging in some relatively early finishes to avoid bothering with a flip to milk the last hour out of it.

Olly

I too have been working on a deep version of this (since March) and have yet to finish it. I have done a LUM channel and found that it did wonders for the dark stuff but did no favours for the bright, so I have come up with a straight LUM overlay AND a LUM/Blue overlay in blend mode lighten and tweeked the opacity down a bit. I might get round to finishing it one day and post it up.

Archived