2 scopes 1 mount?

hi, i am saving for a Skywatcher Explorer 200P with neq6 pro goto mount, ill be using it for visual purposes for the time being until i save for a apo refractor for imaging, say a 80mm or 100mm, could this mount handle these scopes together and how would i go about putting them together.(what equiptment would i need to buy etc)

thanks dave :)

I believe the maximum load for the EQ6 is 24kg, but I don't think many people load it to the limit, especially if they are doing imaging. For multiple scope mounting you can either use dual bar mounting, like this or mount the scope piggy back like this .

Hi Dave.

Don't underestimate the ability of a mount and all it's hangers on to flex under load. Also bear in mind the weight of the dual mount hardware.

If you keep to side by side, you will be able to rotate the SW200 tube. OK at some point the EP and finder will probably get in the way of the refractor.

If you go piggy back, you will need new rings for the SW200 to rotate, or very solid rings with top fixing for the refractor.

Cheap and simple fix. Do you really want two scopes on there at one go? I've been there and found it creates a lot of headaches. If you spend on decent quality (ADM for example) single scope fixings, they are so much easier to use than standard Chinese fixings. Swapping scopes is not anything like the headache it can be.

I have some photos of various dual scope setups that I have tried on my D6 if these maight help I can post them. At the end of the day, I have always gone back to one scope.

David.

why would you have a visual scope of the same mount when imaging? surely this would mean staring at one object for a very long time? I ask as I am totally numptie-like when it comes to imaging, being a visual only observer.

to save time changing over the scopes, ive scene a similar set up but it seems ill be changing over the ota's from veiwing to imaging by the sounds of it, unless im convinced otherwise.

I thought the 2-newt setup might cause a bit of head scratching!

Several years ago I travelled regularly between two houses and carried the 8" scope. But worried about the risk of damage in all this handling. Especially getting it out of the back seat of a 2 door car. Then the 10" scope came up so I left a scope at each house.

Eventually the travelling stopped and I had two similar scopes. Which do I keep? I decided the best way was to use them together. View the same objects on the same night, swapping eyepieces. Putting both on the D6 was easier than using separate mounts.

I have used a dual mount arrangement with various similar and dissimilar scopes. But again, mainly for view comparison.

Archived