SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just order my telrad anyone used?

chunky

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should add that I use the Telrad on my C9.25 OTA where it works well. I use the Rigel on my 80mm refractor where the Telrad would be comically big! So each of them do have their place. To be fair to the Rigel, it does its job perfectly well on the refractor which does not need a very accurate viewfinder due to its short focal length, but to me it feels a bit like a cheep toy compared to the Telrad.

Chris

And is it really dew anyway?

- in my experience, it's not dew, but misty human breath that's the issue... :)

Either way it is not much fun when it freezes in the middle of a winter observing session!

RVO very helpful and the Telrad in my humble opinion is a must have! A Telrad along with a right angled finder and you have the perfect set for locating chosen targets. They are a bit 'boxy' and might not look right on a small scope but as a piece of kit there are so useful. I don't have a dew shield for mine but like 'swamp thing', I too just wipe off any dew that might appear.

Hope it arrives soon and enjoy!

James

thanks for all the feedback. should be here tomorrow. would it go well sith a skywatcher right anged finder think there around £60.

will i be able to star hop and locate dso with just the telrad or will i need another finder

I've had both Telrad and QuikFinder. I kept the QuikFinder. Reasons:

• Less bulky
  • Stands higher off the scope
  • Blink feature of reticle
  • Less dew-prone

I don't bother with the AA battery pack (liability in sub-zero temps). If the reticle moves when you move your head, it isn't focused at infinity properly -- send it back.

Two questions:

1) How / why do you find the blink useful and...

2) Does your reticle stay centred when you move your head then?.

1. It makes it much easier to see faint stars; they don't get permanently occulted by the reticle.

2. Yes (at least, within the normal motion of my head whilst using it -- it is mounted on my big binoc).

Starship Trooper, yes that is a problem hence the suggestion of a right angled finder so as to cover all bases. Mind you, if light pollution is that bad (I live in a major city) then you really need to find a darker site to observe, a hassle I agree but it makes all the difference. :)

Chunky, yes a right angled finder does provide you with magnification to enable you to further narrow down the exact position of the target which the Telrad helped you locate. Some of those fuzzies are very faint so every little helps. Not the cheapest finder but getting your head behind a 'straight through' type is not only difficult at times but will eventually give you neck ache. Of course the other advantage, in case you didn't know, is that it provides a back to front image (like a refractor) but not inverted which gives you one less thing to 'articulate' in your mind when using a star map. :)

James

im got it today. big plastic thing. not heavy though. just need to get some AA batts and find a way to temporally attach

My "Heath Robinson" approach was to remove the regular finder (hate them) and secure the Telrad base using one screw through that.

Just remember there is a backing plate inside the OTA under the finder. I didn't ................. ;)

Starship Trooper, yes that is a problem hence the suggestion of a right angled finder so as to cover all bases. Mind you, if light pollution is that bad (I live in a major city) then you really need to find a darker site to observe, a hassle I agree but it makes all the difference. :rolleyes:

Chunky, yes a right angled finder does provide you with magnification to enable you to further narrow down the exact position of the target which the Telrad helped you locate. Some of those fuzzies are very faint so every little helps. Not the cheapest finder but getting your head behind a 'straight through' type is not only difficult at times but will eventually give you neck ache. Of course the other advantage, in case you didn't know, is that it provides a back to front image (like a refractor) but not inverted which gives you one less thing to 'articulate' in your mind when using a star map. ;)

James

Cool I do live in a light polluted city but after the council have been turning off street lights I have noticed that I can see stars that I couldnt before,so I might look in to get one for myself.

thanks for the charts. yeh you dont need to drill its got double sided sticky foam. at the moment im using 6 xlarge cable ties to hole it in place. i got an 8 inch so need a few to get around the tube.

rother valley were really good and quick.

hope that helps

clear skies

Archived