Narrowband

Just order my telrad anyone used?

chunky

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with all comments above. RVO are good, Telrad great, esp with Telrad charts, but it does collect dew easy.

You can generate charts with Cartes du Ciel with Telrad circles and print, but i printed charts off the web and laminated them for use at the scope, invaluable!

can anyone suggest a DIY alternative?

Easy-peasy: Get one of those plastic A4 wallets and cut a piece sufficiently large to make an arch over the Telrad. Easiest way to fix it to the OTA or Telrad is strips of sticky-back velcro.

hi telrads a great but as for the charts you down load of google they are a bit sceptical and do not really point any were as for a dew sheildits a must in the end i got some stuf of my old man called ren wax never dewed up since,but a old sock cut of at one end makes a great one

Right as you guys are talking about telrad's can someone please quickly explain the differences between a telrad and a rigal quickfinder? Are they basically the same? Cheers

I have both of them and the Rigel Quickfinder is the Telrad's poor cousin. The position of the Telrad's rings is rock solid, the position of the Rigel's rings move depending on the position of your head.

Cheers,

Chris

The benefits of the Rigel over the Telrad are size and weight.

When you are trying to balance your (light?) scope the big lump of telrad can be a major issue.

Like Chris, I have used both. But unlike Chris have kept the Rigel. Neither of us is right or wrong in this choice. We no doubt use the finders in different ways and ask different things of them. It is rather like finder scope size, staright or angled, etc are very much a personal preference item. There is no 'best' or 'one size fits all' solution.

The benefits of the Rigel over the Telrad are size and weight.

When you are trying to balance your (light?) scope the big lump of telrad can be a major issue.

Like Chris, I have used both. But unlike Chris have kept the Rigel. Neither of us is right or wrong in this choice. We no doubt use the finders in different ways and ask different things of them. It is rather like finder scope size, staright or angled, etc are very much a personal preference item. There is no 'best' or 'one size fits all' solution.

I agree. I use the Rigel as well. Bought mainly because I started out with smaller scopes and the Telrad just didn't suit. The rings do move a bit when you move your head, but I use mine together with a 9x50 finder and I have no trouble finding stuff with that pairing. Rigel --> Finder --> Main scope.

The three concentric rings in the Telrad maybe an advantage when starhopping, and they are bombproof with regards reliability. At the end of the day, they are both very nice (I would consider essential) accessories.

Hi

You do not need a dew shield on a Telrad they have no optical surfaces just plastic.

Simply wipe the dew off gently with a tissue it does it no harm at all.

I have done this for years and mine is still as good as new.

Regards Steve

Well I've got two Telrads and one Quickfinder. The Telrads I find are easier to use, but are big and bulky, but not actually that heavy. The Quickfinder is a lot smaller and thus is more suited to a smaller scope. It's also taller so you won't need a riser as used with a Telrad to get it up to a more comfortable height when used on a Dob. The Quickfinder also has a pulse feature to blink the rings on and off. This is an extra cost option with the Telrad. If getting the Quickfinder get the "AA" battery box option as it would take nearly 4 months to drain the batteries if you accidentally left it on compared to a few days for the standard coin cell.

Weights:

Rigel Quickfinder (AA bat) with base - 142g

Telrad with base - 316g

Telrad 2" riser base - 152g

So if asked which one is better I'd say it all depends on what scope it's intended for.

John

Archived