Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wireless EQdirect

Kaminovs

Hi,

Need some tech help on one issue:

I have made Bluetooth EqDirect interface, device itself working properly and I see on my pc apeared 2 Com ports: one incoming and one outgoing.

Problem is I have no experience setting up EQMod software and so I cant figure out a way to attach device to software.

I installed ASCOM platform and EQmod itself.

In Setup EQASCOM than I push serach for com port or set up manually Com port ( 6 in my case) it kinda allows me to upuch ok, so I assume it found something usefull on Com6.

But than I go into AQAScom_run all I get is Connect Error: Timeout

Any ideas are HIGHLY appreciated... I literaly banging my head against a wall at this point.

Cheers!

Hi Kaminovs

I have no experience of EQMOD, but from your second line I would guess that your problem lies n the fact that EQMOD (and most other software for mount control) is expecting a bi-directional COM port not one for TX and the other for RX.

Do you have a Synscan system or just a Syntrek.

if it's a Synscan I'd suggest getting it to work over the serial link with a cable first with Stellarium or Carte Du Ciel, then get it to work over blue tooth.

Only when you have proved the functionality of the blue tooth link try and set up EQMOD.

Hope this helps

Paul

Kaminovs you are correct the mounts are identical. The hand controllers determine the functionality. I take it you are using Windows, do you have any further error messages in the event viewer? It might also be worth searching or posting on the EQMOD forum for similar issues.

Nah, its always Connect error: timeout

LED on my device suggest some activity than I acess it , so it seems working as it should be. My windws vista see 2 virtual com ports. one inbound one outbound. AS some folks suggested I hook EQmod to outbound ports. But no luck. Well, same for inbound ports aswell.

I tried lowering bodrate on COM port to 4800.. no use.

And thanks mate, already posting same question on EQmod Yahoo group.

You need to check in Windows Device Manager what COM port has been assigned to the Bluetooth device.

Open Device Manager and then expand the "Ports (LPT and COM)" (or similar) object. See if you can find any Bluetooth COM port listed. If nothing stands out, unplug the Bluetooth dongle with Device Manager still open and see which COM port disappears. That's the one you need to use.

Also, I highly doubt that you really have 2 COM ports, one for sending and one for receiving. You may have more than one COM port created by the Bluetooth device driver, but they would all be send and receive. They might have different services configured for them. But they would all be bi-directional.

Aye, in COM port setup there are 2 ports listed by bluetooth. COM6 and COM7 in my case. one listed as incoming second as outgoing. Both listed as virtual com ports from bluetooth.

ITs not a problem with com ports I think, Its a problem of EQASCOM not recognising them for mount operation somehow.

I will be trying this route shortly when I get paid I'll buy the EQDIR module to go with my LM Bluetooth module I already have. My idea is:

Mount > EQDIR > LM Bluetooth ----- Airwaves ----- Bluetooth Dongle > Laptop.

Give me a couple of weeks and I'll see if I can get mine working.

• 2 weeks later...

Adapter is quite nice one, its a basic strait through thingy, easy to do realy, and it gives ability to use any RJ45 stuff like EQmods on EQ6 mount with DB9 port. So if people have HEQ5 EQMod and than upgrade to EQ6, they really dont need to change EQmod box, saves some pound for other bits.

• 1 year later...

Just finished working on adapter for my HEQ bluetooth EQMOD to use it on EQ6 mounts. All wokring smooth and fine :) very happy with results.

Some pics:

EQ6%2BEQTooth.jpgEQTooth%252520adapter.jpg03082011357.jpg

This is just what I've been thinking of doing - looks good!

I wonder if you could answer a few of my questions?

1. Can I draw power from the mount? I'm using an EQ6, so with a 9-pin D connector. If so, which are the pins?

2. I'll need to shift the levels from the bluetooth transceiver up from 3v3 to 5v, but please could you confirm which pins on the D-connector I wire my Tx/Rx to?

I've been googling around and have read a few posts that suggest different things, hence my confusion.

Thank you in advance!

This is just what I've been thinking of doing - looks good!

I wonder if you could answer a few of my questions?

1. Can I draw power from the mount? I'm using an EQ6, so with a 9-pin D connector. If so, which are the pins?

2. I'll need to shift the levels from the bluetooth transceiver up from 3v3 to 5v, but please could you confirm which pins on the D-connector I wire my Tx/Rx to?

I've been googling around and have read a few posts that suggest different things, hence my confusion.

Thank you in advance!

I posted too quickly - that post referenced above (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=73551) looks to answer my questions. if I get this working I'll update the thread....

There are also full details/circuit diagrams showing how to build an EQDirect-BT on the EQMOD Project website.

The BT module I used works directly with my mount but others have found that they needed 3.3 to 5V level conversion on the Rx/tx lines. The EQMOD project website provides three designs to cater for the various supply and signaling options.

Currently the EQDirect-BT is labeled 'under review' whilst I get some feedback on potential latency issues that might conceivably reduce pulse guide resolution when compared to a direct wired connection. Other than that the EQDirect-BT appears to work reliably.

eq-mod.sourceforge.net/eqdirectindex.html

Chris.

There are also full details/circuit diagrams showing how to build an EQDirect-BT on the EQMOD Project website.

The BT module I used works directly with my mount but others have found that they needed 3.3 to 5V level conversion on the Rx/tx lines. The EQMOD project website provides three designs to cater for the various supply and signaling options.

Currently the EQDirect-BT is labeled 'under review' whilst I get some feedback on potential latency issues that might conceivably reduce pulse guide resolution when compared to a direct wired connection. Other than that the EQDirect-BT appears to work reliably.

eq-mod.sourceforge.net/eqdirectindex.html

Chris.

Thank you Chris, I'm going to give it a try. I've ordered a bluetooth module from a opular auction web site (from Hong Kong), so when it arrives I'll see what I can do. Will post the results here if I'm successful.

Cheers,

Mark

• 11 months later...

Thank you Chris, I'm going to give it a try. I've ordered a bluetooth module from a opular auction web site (from Hong Kong), so when it arrives I'll see what I can do. Will post the results here if I'm successful.

Cheers,

Mark

Which one did you order and did you get it to work?

Archived