Narrowband

Yes, I managed to spot the comet and M15 in the same field of view, at 44x with my 10" Dob.

The forecast was clear for Southend in Essex, but the sky was hazy with intermitent cloud, and I would not have bothered to set up my scope if it were not for a special event.

I did a rough sketch, and looked again 45 mins later, and the comet had quite clearly shifted against the background stars.

Regards, Ed.

It was clear last night in Southend, Essex. Comet Garradd was not hard to find, but I was surprised that it was still, just, in the same 1.5 degree field of view with M15, at 44x through my 10" Dob.

Happy hunting, Ed.

It was clear last night in Southend, Essex. Comet Garradd was not hard to find, but I was surprised that it was still, just, in the same 1.5 degree field of view with M15, at 44x through my 10" Dob.

Happy hunting, Ed.

Hey,

Can you help me out? I had the scope out last night for a while- tired through the 10mm and 26mm eyepieces but just couldn't seem to find the comet anywhere near M15- which I found fairly easily.

I'm not sure how to work out my field of view or the multiplier so perhaps a tip for which eyepiece to try to either get it in view with M15 or 'next door' to nudge to.

Its a much clearer night tonight (and darker with gorgeous milky way with the naked eye) so wondering about persevering with my sleepy eyes to try again...

Best wishes

Vicky

Hi Vicky - the comet moves fairly fast in relation to the back ground stars - so it will have moved from the M15 area within a day or two.

Your best view will be from the eyepiece that gives the widest field of view so your 26mm will be the best.

Hey,

Can you help me out? I had the scope out last night for a while- tired through the 10mm and 26mm eyepieces but just couldn't seem to find the comet anywhere near M15- which I found fairly easily.

I'm not sure how to work out my field of view or the multiplier so perhaps a tip for which eyepiece to try to either get it in view with M15 or 'next door' to nudge to.

Vicky

Hi Vicky. Here is a zoomable finder chart for Comet Garradd for August - http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/comets/2009_P1.pdf

It will pass close to Gamma Delphinus (lovely double star) and then

near M71 in Sagitta, in early Sept close to the Coathanger cluster.

If you are using the SW 200p in your sig, then the 26mm EP will give

46x. Its apparent field is probably 50 degrees, divide that by the

magnification to find how much sky it shows - 50/46 = 1.08, so just

over 1 degree or two moon diameters.

Hope you find it, Ed.

Thanks Andrew and Ed. Its good to know I'll have a few more chances (weather permitting- went from clear to blanket cloud in the time it took to gather my astro stuff at midnight last night! Arghhhh!).

Best wishes

Vicky

Archived